Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDI 170 - injectors, EGR and Intake Manifold Flap

agedog

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been having juddering issues with my Audi a4 avant 170 above 3000rpm mainly.

First of all I thought it could be the MAF so went to GSF and pick one up and swapped it out... No better....

I the read online about the faulty piezo injectors on the Audi 170 TDI engines, so dropped it into Audi this morning and they confirmed my car was due a recall to check the injectors! Anyway they have swapped out 2 x injectors completely FOC. result!!

However lack of power and juddering over 3000rpm very much still there.

Audi have advised however that the intake manifold flap is stuck and needs replacing at a cost of £540 and that will improve power and stop the acceleration judder! Ouch!!

Nowto the questions!
1. If the IMF needs replacing then surely the EGR valve will need replacing too? Or does the new IMF come complete with EGR valve?
2. Would a good clean of the IMF rectify the fault and restore power and stop the juddering?
3. How easy is it to remove the IMF and give it a good clean?
4. Does anyone have any step by step instructions illustrating how to do this? (preferably with pics)??

Any advise much appreciated, if the job is as easy as changing the MAF then I should be just fine!!:icon_thumright:

All the best.

Ok - no takers on this then? Would really appreciate someone's help...

Update - I removed the intake manifold flap and looked clean (ish) and was not seized, rotated fully in one direction.

Only thing I noticed was a load of oil inside the cog area of the IMF! Is this normal? Oil was running down inside the large diameter rubber type pipe attached to it also! (pipe is about 4" I suppose this runs to the turbo or something???)

Any one help me on this much appreciated..?

Also couldn't get the EGR off as there was a metal pipe attached to it that had 2 x bolts with what only can be described as huge torx fittings. Anyone know what tool i need here??!

Ok - no takers on this then? Would really appreciate someone's help...

Update - I removed the intake manifold flap and looked clean (ish) and was not seized, rotated fully in one direction.

Only thing I noticed was a load of oil inside the cog area of the IMF! Is this normal? Oil was running down inside the large diameter rubber type pipe attached to it also! (pipe is about 4" I suppose this runs to the turbo or something???)

Any one help me on this much appreciated..?

Also couldn't get the EGR off as there was a metal pipe attached to it that had 2 x bolts with what only can be described as huge torx fittings. Anyone know what tool i need here??!

hey agedog

regarding the EGR there is a write up. link below scroll down a bit

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s...-2-0-tdi-problems-problems-problems-help.html

hope that helps

hi there the torx bits are 10 o 12mm 12 sided torx bit standard really normally you see the 6 sided ones,
as for the oil i stripped my 170 egr and intake off the other, day for cleaning was 1 inch thick sorted my problem by cleaning,
i tried removing the black cover where the electrics/coggs are i couldnt get it apart ,removed the screws but somthing holding it and mine was full of oil and the intake pipe to manifold,so i would be intrested to know aswell but i was told oil in the cog imf was normal......