Worn Clutch?

alpesh26

Reaction score
I think my clutch is on its way out :(

Under heavy acceleration in 5th (from about 55mph) the car seems to judder then pick up speed. You can see the gear stick wobbling as it judders.

When releasing the clutch in 1st it feels like theres something grinding, doesnt feel as smooth as it used to.

I tried setting off in 4th and I was able to crawl for a metre or so before the car stalled.

Are these signs that the clutch is on its way out? I had the original clutch replaced at 51k with an OEM (Sachs) one and im currently on 77k. the car has been remapped since and I suspect that the extra torque is taking its toll on the clutch.

If the clutch is on its way out, can anyone recommend any uprated clutches or will the 2.0TDi (170) clutch fit onto a 1.9TDi?

TIA

yep defo goosed mate!
probably more so the dmf than the clutch considering its been mapped!
dmf and clutch kits are rated at standard power outputs! a remap adds extra strain and usually buggers one or the other or both!
you can get a single conventional style fly wheel with even with a standard clutch will be better if you dont mind a heavy pedal feel or vibration in the cabin at low revs!
or you could get an upreated clutch to go with it too! its all about how much you are wiling to spend really!
but if you were to fit another dmf in your remapped car it wont last too long!

Ouch, sounds expensive! The car got rear ended the other day (the Ka that hit me didn't come off too well), so I'm thinking of getting the accident damage repaired and get shot of it. It's a shame really because the car is immaculate! I found the stock map made the car sluggish and lacked power when overtaking, time for a bigger engine and possibly an auto box...

How much is a new clutch and flywheel?

parts only?

according to Euro Car Parts:

£163 for the Sachs Clutch Kit
£330 for the DMF