4WD RR for: ECU Remap & DPF Removal with a Triptronic

Reaction score
Hi guys, thought I'd save another post in the 'welcome' section and come straight in with a set of questions. Bought my second Audi a few weeks ago and am now the proud owner of a <deep breath> 2007 A4 3.0TDI Quattro Tiptronic S-line Cabriolet. Automatic wasn't my first choice but having driven it for a few weeks it's definately growing on me! Love the car but having had a remapped TDI before I know how much potential it has so am gagging for a remap!

I had a 2003 2.5TDI (FWD) with a manual box a couple of years ago and has it remapped by R-Tech in Hinckley (several posts on here regarding great feedback for them). I would be happy to take the new A4 back to them if it weren't for the following:
  • Only have a 2wd rolling road
  • Said they needed to have the car for a whole week to remove the DPF (only preapred to do it between other work)
When I searched the forum someone said (relating to an A3 I think?) that the quattro system can be converted to FWD by removing a fuse... TBH I'm sceptical about this, does anyone know if that's the case?

Assuming it's not, I'm looking for a tuning company close to Nottingham with a 4WD rolling road, a good reputation for TDI remaps, capable of removing (or gutting properly and refitting) the DPF.

I have had a quote from a guy called Nick who is local to me and he seems to get good reviews from primarily Vauxhall owners and he claims to have remapped Audis in the past. He wanted £400 for the map and the DPF removal, however he doesn't have a premesis so there would be no dyno tuning and the DPF work would be carried out by an independant garage not him directly. This would be to have the DPF's innards removed and the DPF refitted (apparently this is common place so upon visual inspection the DPF appears to be intact for future MOT checks). Anyone know how the 'remove the innards'? Do they put a straight through pipe in the middle of the redundant DPF?

Website: Tuned n' Styled Engine Remapping & Chip Tuning (ECU Remaps) - East Midlands Anyone heard anything good or bad about this guy?

The next question is as it's an auto, will it still benefit from a Dyno tweaked tune (issues with maintining a selected gear etc)?

Realise that's a pretty long first post with a lot of questions so apologies if they are due. Thanks for any help!

I can't answer your queries, but I am booked in next week at R-tech for a remap, I have the same car apart from being an Avant.

They know all the details of the car and didn't mention any issues and as I have used them before totally trust their ability, I am also having the EGR blanked off prior to remap as they needed car for 2 days if they would do the blanking.

I will post up next week with my findings..

Thanks David. Where are you getting the EGR valve done? You having the DPF done also? When I went to R-Tech before they didn't use the dyno because I had a small oil leak, but I thought if I was going to have a remap I should use a rolling road to get the most out of the mods (and the map).

No complains from me regarding R-Tech, hope it goes well when you take it!

You can't switch off Quattro in A4 because it's a Torsen not Haldex system.
Torsen -permanent 4WD
Haldex - FWD with RWD addition.

JBS in Chesterfield - expensive but definitely know what they're doing.

I think you will find the reference to removing a fuse and the vehicle reverting to 2wd will only apply with Haldex equiped vehicles (A3, Golf quattro's) The system on an A4 is completely different.

Auto on a rolling road is possible just a little harder to do. To be honest the 3.0 Tdi is such a commonly mapped vehicle most decent tunners have got it sorted extremely well without the need for a rolling road.

Removal of the core from the OE filter will usually consist of the filter either being broken up and removed through one end if access is possible or cutting open, removing filter and welding back up. Alternatively you can purchase replacement pipes for many models (never seen one for a 3.0 TDi) or we sometimes make up our own removal pipes.

Hope this helps.
Steve.

Hi, we can do this work for you in house.

We don't have a RR, but it's really not needed for this level of tuning. The only time we really use a RR is when the car has a completely bespoke engine and management setup where it is undriveable on the road or track until some basic calibration is carried out. The fine tuning is then done wherever the vehicle is used in anger, i.e. road or track. If it is plots you are interested in we can provide a comparison from extensive datalogging. This is the only real way to gauge on road performance.

DPF can be removed and a straight pipe fitted, or the inside removed so that it no longer poses a restriction.

Thanks, Rick

Thanks David. Where are you getting the EGR valve done? You having the DPF done also? When I went to R-Tech before they didn't use the dyno because I had a small oil leak, but I thought if I was going to have a remap I should use a rolling road to get the most out of the mods (and the map).

No complains from me regarding R-Tech, hope it goes well when you take it!

I have bought a blanking plate and getting that fitted in a mates garage day before I go to R-Tech. Also had a K&N panel filter fitted as well, was debating on DPF but didn't make up my mind so going without this time.

Have a chat with the chaps at MRC Tuning, they will build a custom map for you on the dyno (yes its a 4wd one) and they can perform all kinds of trickery with the auto boxes such as quicker shift times and gear changes at redline etc.

You could try shark performance in Mansfield. Good reputation. they offer a custom remap I believe, not sure how it's done but worth a visit / phone call.

Chris

Slepy: I hadn't heard of the Haldex system to be honest, I didn't think they made a 4wd A3 (as apparently they don't really). Thanks for the info. Also I'm going to make a list of places people suggest and give them a ring to get some estimated prices.

Steve: I've been told before that for a stage 1 simple remap a RR is not really necessary, makes the selection of places to have the work done easier! I'll probably go for having the DPF 'gutted' so is still looks present if it ever needs to be checked.

Rick: Would you be able to give me a quote for the work, also wanting to have the EGR blanked off and removed from the ECU now. So would be DPF & EGR removal (inc ECU), and a ECU remap. There's only a front page on your website so I have no other info!

Solaris: I'll add MRC to my list, actually came accross their website before and they get great reviews, very intriegued by the poential gear box improvements also, a quicker gear change would be well worth the money!

Chris: I'll add Shark to my list :)

Thanks for the help guys