Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    2nd Gear

Status

Thinking of buying a private plate

Ok I know this is the wrong section to ask this question but I know people on here have private plates so I have more chance of getting a decent reponse. Im thinking of buying a private plate but am confused with the legal stuff.

Could someone explain the procedure in more laymans terms.

I cut this bit from the website Im buying off :-

You can apply for tax at the same time as a transfer by sending us your insurance certificate or cover note, a completed V10 (This can be obtained from a post office and should, technically, be filled in with the existing registration mark) and the appropriate fee (cheques to the Department of Transport).
    Present fees are £85.25 for six months and £155 for twelve months.

Whats the fees for? Is it to buy tax or just to send you a new disc with the new reg on?

I thought it was just a case of sending your tax disc, log book and MoT cert off to have the reg changed and a one off fee to the DVLA?

Please help

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    If you buy direct from DVLA all fees are included
    A4 (b6) 2.5 TDi QS Saloon.

3rd Gear

Status
    Got mine off the Dvla website price includes transfer, you get the paperwork through the post. Then i took it with my logbook, m.o.t, tax disc etc.. to my local Dvla office and they sorted me out with new disc and m.o.t and then sent a new logbook through the post. They also supply a ticket for you to buy youre plates without the v5. However i got mine off ebay
    Dolphin Grey 2005 3.2fsi Quattro 6-speed manual A4 Avant S-line, Two tone Leather, Pipercross panel filter, Genuine RS6 style 18" Alloys, Cupra R Lip, Piranha Grooved and dimpled Brakes, Eibach 30mm springs, B5 Front Cups, Rs4 RARB, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Engine covers, Rs4 Grill, Rs4 style fog grills, Lamin-x'd head, fog and tail lights, Adaptive Xenons, Q5 rear wiper, S4 spring clips, Heated Passat Washer jets, DIS and cruise control

Now have genuine VCDS in North Norfolk

Looking for Zombies !!

Status
    Just change your name so your initials match whats on your existing plate.

JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

Abb
    2nd Gear

Status
    Have a few plates and have never heard of those fees you have listed, unless thats what it is for 6 or 12 months car tax respectively. As stated above, if you purchase from DVLA direct, ALL fees incl of transfer are included. If you buy from an independent dealer, the cost of transferring a cherished mark from vehicle to vehicle is £80. If you wish to retain the number (eg you dont have a vehicle to put it on to right away), once you have bought it, its an additional £25, making it £105 at the point of purchase. That said, you only have 12 months to assign the mark, or pay another £25 to retain it for another 12 months. If you have paid this fee (£105) and then wish to put it onto a vehicle, it does not cost you anything, as you have already 'prepaid'. Hope it clears it up for you a bit! Our local DVLA office is, St Marks House, Teesdale park (over near TFM).
    Audi S4 quattro cabriolet in dolphin grey metallic, Audi exclusive crimson red leather/black piping, red hood, carbon inlays, RNSE, tiptronic gearbox with paddleshift, electrically adjustable & heated seats, 6 disc multichanger, DVD multichanger, monitors in headrestraints, xenon headlights with power wash, cruise control, folding door mirrors, storage pack, 19" OE VW Touareg wheels with 25mm spacer/adapters all round, non res cat back quad tipped Milltek exhaust, lowered 30mm on H&R springs

2nd Gear

Status
    Cheers guys thats cleared things up alot. The plate Im looking at is from an independent dealer, the DVLA doesn't have what Im looking for unfortunately. How its worded on the plate website is a little confusing but I think I understand how it works now

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    If you've got a local DVLA office it's worth going in there to do it. I took the retention certificate in and paid them £80, and they printed a tax disc and MOT there and then, and you can go home and put your plates on, no waiting at all.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

2nd Gear

Status
    There's a local DVLA office to me so thats what i'll do. I'd hate to buy it then have to wait ages to get in on.