Badger5EM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

Single or Double?

Hi Guys,

My Flywheel on my B7 Cab is on its way out. It jerks around 2500 revs, but is OK if you go heavy on the throttle.

A mechanic said it would be worth me converting to a single mass instead of the normal one.

What experience have you had? Is it more expensive? Worth doing?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    I would appreciate some more info on this too as my clutch is naffed and want to know if its worth changing the fly wheel while im in there. either replace the dual or go single. will check back and if I find out more will add.

1.8T Sport Cabriolet

Status
    I recently went thru this too, I opted for another dual mass flywheel and clutch. Hurt my wallet but drives like a new car now.
    Audi A4 1.8t sport convertible, Full Grey Leather Interior, Ambient Light Pack, Polished Forge FMCL007P Diverter valve, Green Cotton Filter, 100mm Tail pipes, Rear RS4 ARB, Interior Xenon White LED's bulbs, Xenon White LED number plate bulbs and side lights, JBS Auto Designs stage 1 remap, RNS-E and OEM Bluetooth, Remote roof module, OEM Wind Deflector, B7 rear lights, HID lights.

Neutral

Status
    How much did you end up spending in total? I am not sure which is the cheaper option. Single or Dual?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mattjarv View Post
    How much did you end up spending in total? I am not sure which is the cheaper option. Single or Dual?

Is your car a 2.0 TDI?

If so good luck finding a single mass flywheel!
    Things to do: Lower on coilovers, spacers, front end respray and a full correctional detail!

Neutral

Status
    They now do them for 2.0 TDi's, but only recently. This is why I asked as I now have two options! But I am not a mechanic, so I have no idea whether or not there would be a huge amount of difference or what the difference is?

5th Gear

Status
    I believe the dual mass flywheel reduces vibration from the diesel engine.

Let me google that for you

Neutral

Status
    I think I am just going to go for a Duel Mass Flywheel as my car was always good before it started slipping.

I have been quoted about £200 for the labour if I can source my own Flywheel. They wanted to charge me over £400 for one! Anyone know a good place I can order one and take it with me to the garage?

1.8T Sport Cabriolet

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mattjarv View Post
    The difference in price wasn't a lot, I will dig out my invoice and let you know
    Audi A4 1.8t sport convertible, Full Grey Leather Interior, Ambient Light Pack, Polished Forge FMCL007P Diverter valve, Green Cotton Filter, 100mm Tail pipes, Rear RS4 ARB, Interior Xenon White LED's bulbs, Xenon White LED number plate bulbs and side lights, JBS Auto Designs stage 1 remap, RNS-E and OEM Bluetooth, Remote roof module, OEM Wind Deflector, B7 rear lights, HID lights.

Neutral

Status
    Well I have just come back after having a dual flywheel fitted. And I still have slight jerking in 3rd gear around 2 1/2 thousand revs. They think that I might have a clutch problem now... this is getting so bloody expensive!!

Do you think it is that or something else? Before the car jerked in all gears around the same revs unless you gave it some beans and it glossed over it, now 3rd gear only jerks.

Thanks!

2nd Gear

Status
    Best practice is to change clutch & flywheel together, not sure why your garage told you just to have a flywheel changed......hang on ofcourse I do - more money for them in labour!

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    [QUOTE=mattjarv;1517739]Well I have just come back after having a dual flywheel fitted. And I still have slight jerking in 3rd gear around 2 1/2 thousand revs. They think that I might have a clutch problem now... this is getting so bloody expensive!!

Do you think it is that or something else? Before the car jerked in all gears around the same revs unless you gave it some beans and it glossed over it, now 3rd gear only jerks.

your garage are idiots
    for the price of a clutch you should have changed it with the dmfw
    now if it is the clutch you have that labour to pay again..

Neutral

Status
    ^^^ That's what I was thinking!! I now feel like going to another place for them to do it just out of principal.

So would you say it is the clutch causing the above problem?

Neutral

Status
    I have had a couple of quotes for the conversion kit clutch kit and solid flywheel and that comes to £425 for parts alone??? fitting clutch with dmfw was about £455 garage were quoting about £700 with labour!!!!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Single adds more vibration, hence why many opt for a new of the same, so upto you but as Bez says, why they didnt do both is beyond me aswell.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Neutral

Status
    It's very annoying. I have driven a few more miled since my last post, and it hardly slips at all at the minute, but I know at some point I will have to do this all over again.

Anyone got any info on good clutches to buy? Saw an LUK one for about £130 which I thought was pretty good value