2.0tfsi petrol - what do you run yours on?

alex.stanley

Reaction score
Just bought an A4 2.0 TFSI Q Special Edition, and need to buy its first tank of fuel.

The fuel cap says it'll run on 95 or 98, but I thought I'd check with the collective wisdom of the forum to see what everybody uses? Tesco Ultimate 99? Optimax? Or just regular unleaded?

the fuel cap says 95 ron because it will run perfect on normal unleaded fuel as it's set up that way from build, if you get it remapped then the mapper will usually expect super unleadeds to be used all times but if you then put normal unleaded in it will run poo, you will see some improvments using super unleadeds on standard cars set up in general but not massive amounts will just feel a little more responsive as the timing will adjust accoerdingly to the ron of the fuel used anyhows, but the extra cost i always used super in my 1.8turbo cupra 97/98ron !!! lets just say even if super was 8p a ltr dearer than std unleaded then that adds up to around £5 ish @ 60ltrs so its not breaking the bank to use better fuels...

so + 2 for super 97/98 ron fuels

i used to run my stage 3 on 95 and it never ran crap
i run my stage 2 gti mostly on 95 and by no meens does that run like poo either

Super only - VPower preferably.

AMD told me that the 2.0 TFSi will be 20 bhp down when running on 95 ron. Apparently takes a tank or two to be back up to power when switched back super.

im not gona call AMD liers
but mine was on the RR on 95 and on the same RR a few weeks later on Vpower and there was 2 hp more
and yes it had had a few full tanks of Vpower and wasnt mixed or only used on the day

Yes I was shocked by the 20 bhp claim. Never felt like that much difference when I have been on 95 (when unmapped).

When I had a remapped Focus ST (275bhp) I used to run it on a mixture of normal unleaded and Tesco ultimate 99. The only difference I noticed was the sound. On 99 ron, the exhaust used to pop and bang more (it had a magnex cat back). Sounded lovely!

my st3 pops always
but when i use tescos it pops even more and the flames
running ds mod-X and all the extras

Audi recommend that FSI engines are normally run on super unleaded, because super unleaded has a lower suplhur content than standard unleaded and sulphur contaminates the pre-cat which means the engine has to come out of lean burn mode more often (to increase the exhaust temperatures and hence clean the pre-cat). Typically super unleaded will give 10% better mpg because of this, which more than makes up the extra cost per litre.

Hm, some interesting comments on here.

So, there may or may not be a noticeable performance difference between the two, some run exclusively on Super Unleaded, others not.

Interestingly, we *can* notice a difference on my wife's A2 1.6 FSI between 95 and 99 - on 95 the car seems to be really rough, whereas on 99 it's not.

I'll put a couple of tanks of Tesco 99 in the A4 then and see if there's any change..

Thanks guys!

I use shell V power. My last few cars ive owned have been petrol turbos and have always used 99ron for them, not too sure if it gives me more mpg but my last car standard gave 7 more bhp over its standard figures. But I never put it on the rollers on normal 95ron so I could have just been lucky with the extra bhp.