Xenon fault

rizzini7

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
My drivers head light main beam is playing up. Its fitted with the adaptive ones (move left/right, up/down on corners etc...) The main bean goes out every now and then. But when i flick the steering to the right it comes back on but sometimes goes out again when i straighten the steering. The dip beam works fine and the adaptive works. The car has recently been lowered 30mm and fitted with b5 spring cups. Do i need to adjust or reset anything??? Thanks

is it b6 / b7? my b7 s4 used to have flickering issues with the xenon, poteinally the ballast need replaceing.

Appears it comes on when left or right now. Having a front end judder when turning every now and then at the moment. Also got to replace RARB bushes. So will see how it goes when theyre sorted. Hopefully its all linked

i would try new bulbs first its the cheaper option. i had both lights that use to go out on my b7 avant, i put some new philips xenon bulbs in and its cured the problem

i wonder if you have damaged wiring in the headlight that is connecting when the projector moves

Suppose that could be possible last time when fitting the new bulbs in August or lowering in Feb. Where abouts is the sensor for the adaptive for steering???

Could be the bulb, my bulbs kept flickering and cutting out. I replaced the bulbs and they work perfectly now. Might be a loose connection on the back of the bulb too as they are fiddly to fit.

Its had new OEM bulbs already. So i hope its not them. And when it goes out it only goes onto a dip beam not out all together???? Just after ideas before we take the bumper etc.. off. Ive found someone who will do me a new OEM ballast for £140 so may give that a go. Im just wondering if it could be a fault on the steering end

And when it goes out it only goes onto a dip beam not out all together???? Just after ideas before we take the bumper etc.. off.

Well as you'll have seen when you swapped the bulbs, they're just a single bulb - not like the old H4 dim/dip style.

Listen when you flick your main beam on....

Your car changes from main beam to dip beam via a flap of metal, the bulb doesn't do a thing...... Sounds like its that mechanism which is failing, and as you'll probably guess links in with the direction control mechanism.

Could be worth me trying to get a look at the mechanism before buying a ballast then. Another bumper off job then :(. Will try and do it next weekend and swap the ballasts at the same time. Atleast if it changes sides its the ballast. Otherwise the lights seem to work fine

Sounds to me as though the wiring to the bulb could be affected or pulling on the bulb connector when turning, shorting momentarily, I would so s you already planned, remove headlights & check visually, test with bumper of & then refit when happy of course.

Well finally swapped ballasts and drivers side still plays up. So its the headlight and not ballast. Is there anyway to repair or is it a swap job???

Already suggested you need to check visually internals of the headlight, I still think it could be something getting caught internally.

Well finally swapped ballasts and drivers side still plays up. So its the headlight and not ballast. Is there anyway to repair or is it a swap job???

Long update, after still having issues with headlight and ballast (not sure if my mate did swap the ballast or the bulbs in the end ???) got fed up and have now replaced the light and ballast. Also checked and played with all wiring at the same time. And so far so good the issue seems to have gone. Ballast got sold on as repairs a while ago as a dud and last night sold my spare passenger and pos repairs drivers lights and bulbs to new member Sam00Cleveland who is doing a retrofit. Sounds like he knows what he's doing with electrics so hopefully he has more luck with it.