Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
    Reverse Gear

Status

Dis says 10 miles but ran out of diesel!!

Hi guys, recently bought an a4 07 plate, 2.0l tdi avant(170), but the dis is not correctly displaying amount of miles left in tank.. Once my misses ran out as she pulled up to the forecourt petrol station and again ran out in the middle of a main road tonight.. Both times the dis said it had plenty of miles left... Any help or xplanation would be great.
    cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    I never let it run down that far to be honest. The miles to empty calculates on the speed you are going too, to average the miles per gallon. I'd tell your misses to keep the level out of the red to avoid it happening in the future.

1st Gear

Status
    The Dis just isnt very accurate and shouldnt be relied upon. I never go below 50 miles to empty and havnt had a problem yet.

1st Gear

Status
    I've had it run out whilst saying 35 before. Never let it hit the red since.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for the replies.. Just last a4 I had used to go right down to 0 and then do another 5-10 miles ..
    oh well just have to keep it out of the red

5th Gear

Status
    I was told mine has a 50 mile reserve tank...had 0 on dis a few times and been OK.. .
    07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, S4 alloys, Spacers, Black Optics, Eibachs, RS4 grill and fogs, Fog tints, RS4 ARB, RS4 Gearstick, LCR splitter, Black Calipers, Drilled discs, Debadged, Colour DIS, Bose, Adaptive Xenons/DRL, Black/Silver Audi Exclusive leather, Audi Carbon inlays, carbon difuser/B pillars, RNS-E+/Bluetooth, Cruise, Int/ext light packs, Rain/light sensors, mudflaps, LED plate/side/boot/interior

2nd Gear

Status
    You should never run a diesel to an empty tank, rule of thumb mate, Petrols ok but diesels no!!!!!! You naff your engine mate
    Audi A4 2.0TDi, Lowered on AP coilovers, Sat on 19" BBS CH gloss black 20mm rear spacers and 15mm front, RS6 front grill with carbon wrap suround, carbon wrapped door blades and rear defuser.

VW Passat mk3 2.0 8v in kawazaki green, black vinyl roof, decked on coilovers, black deep dish rims with crome dish, subsonic fushion sub that rattles the windows and multi coloured neons with pulse action with music, dont judge me, I'm going on the crumball rally in july, so this is our chosen chariot!

loves quattro

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by razza1 View Post
    I was told mine has a 50 mile reserve tank...had 0 on dis a few times and been OK.. .
    Same here to be fair..... might not be doing that from now on though

1st Gear

Status
    Guess it varies from car to car. I had a Focus for a while which I did at least another 30 miles on after it had said 0. That was petrol though, with the Audi, I took the fuel filter apart at the side of the road and emptied the gunk out of it before putting any more diesel in.

North East Forum Moderator

Status
    Definitely varies from engine to engine also.

I would sometimes run my 1.6FSI 20 or so miles after the 0miles and still get 52L of fuel in, leaving 3L still remaining in the fuel tank.

My 2.0TFSI is somewhat different... running 10miles past 0miles left 1.5L left in the tank, certainly a close call.
    Audi A3 2.0TFSI S Line SE DSG

JMB Retrofits - North East Retrofit Company

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Khanage View Post
    Guess it varies from car to car. I had a Focus for a while which I did at least another 30 miles on after it had said 0. That was petrol though, with the Audi, I took the fuel filter apart at the side of the road and emptied the gunk out of it before putting any more diesel in.
    How did you manage to take the diesel fuel filter apart? I didn't think you could

Did you have a big tin opener!

('cause the 2.0 TDI filter is sealed with only 3 fittings on top)
    A4 2.0 TDi 170 Quattro S Line
    Phantom Black