Dis says 10 miles but ran out of diesel!!

Andrewkings

Reaction score
Hi guys, recently bought an a4 07 plate, 2.0l tdi avant(170), but the dis is not correctly displaying amount of miles left in tank.. Once my misses ran out as she pulled up to the forecourt petrol station and again ran out in the middle of a main road tonight.. Both times the dis said it had plenty of miles left... Any help or xplanation would be great.
cheers

I never let it run down that far to be honest. The miles to empty calculates on the speed you are going too, to average the miles per gallon. I'd tell your misses to keep the level out of the red to avoid it happening in the future.

I've had it run out whilst saying 35 before. Never let it hit the red since.

Thanks for the replies.. Just last a4 I had used to go right down to 0 and then do another 5-10 miles ..
oh well just have to keep it out of the red

Guess it varies from car to car. I had a Focus for a while which I did at least another 30 miles on after it had said 0. That was petrol though, with the Audi, I took the fuel filter apart at the side of the road and emptied the gunk out of it before putting any more diesel in.

Definitely varies from engine to engine also.

I would sometimes run my 1.6FSI 20 or so miles after the 0miles and still get 52L of fuel in, leaving 3L still remaining in the fuel tank.

My 2.0TFSI is somewhat different... running 10miles past 0miles left 1.5L left in the tank, certainly a close call.

Guess it varies from car to car. I had a Focus for a while which I did at least another 30 miles on after it had said 0. That was petrol though, with the Audi, I took the fuel filter apart at the side of the road and emptied the gunk out of it before putting any more diesel in.

How did you manage to take the diesel fuel filter apart? I didn't think you could

Did you have a big tin opener!

('cause the 2.0 TDI filter is sealed with only 3 fittings on top)