Is it worth re-mapping my 2.0 TDi?

JDM82

Reaction score
OK guys I've been juggling with this for ages, I first started looking a re-mapping my golf GTi turbo but heard some horror stories about the damage it can cause to an unhealthy engine/gearbox etc.

Now I have the A4 2.0 TDI S-Line and Im considering a re-map so what do you guys say about it? I would love to hear the pro's and con's, the positive results but also the horror stories like what damage it can cause, what parts it can cause to fail. I know the coilpacks and clutch where the main things on the golf so what about the A4 TDi.

Cheers guys and girls

I think it depends on state of car and how you drive it. I personally have mapped all my cars last 4 or 5 and never had any issues. Sadly the turbos have issues on these. Yes it will damage/wear out clutch quicker if you drive hard from standstill. I will be getting my next cars remapped too

But then again... I remapped my 130pd and it didn't like it at all. Dreadful shudder from the flywheel (which was only 2 months old at the time of the remap). The remap people tweaked the torque curve a bit and it made it better, but the shudder was still there. I had it put back to stock, then tried a tuning box about 6 months later with the same results.

A remap will push the clutch and flywheel close (or in my case, beyond) to their design limits. Whether or not that's an issue seems to depend a bit on luck (I think I was unlucky, because I know there are plenty of people who've had remaps with no issues) and also how you drive it. I do think it's important that you go somewhere reputable that'll help if you have problems.

HTH.

imo NO!
Even when it's mapped it will be still only a slow diesel...

That's my thought after being destroyed today by a very nice blonde in a Beemer 130i :(

130i has 260bhp stock, not suprising it wiped 2.0tdi, 3.0 probably has more torque aswell so tdi has nothing on it.

Remaps are worth it not only for fuel but a little bit more pull, If you want to be wary on the consumables then just dont do any hard boots in 1st, 2nd that will keep flywheel, clutch happier. Turbo will wear quicker reaching higher boost pressures in any gear, Though the turbos on these are renowned for clogging VNT, if your booting it all time youll count this out. Ive had 2.0 tdi's with 120k on same turbo, just VNT has always been problem.

I vote yes

Yes

My A3 & Mrs B,s A4 Cab both mapped by the lads @ Awesome who i think have a deal on maps atm.

I have loads of fun in the A3 & its made the heavy cab miles better.

MPG has improved as well