URGENT HELP NEEDED! Fault code 16486 Air flow meter!

Shaun

Reaction score
Hi,

Im away to see a 2.0tdi 140 avant and just had a call from the guy telling me that the engine managment light came on last night,he got the code read and it is showing 16486. It seemingly happend right after the engine bay had been hosed down as he was getting it clean for my coming to collect.

The light has since been reset and had not come back on.

however Im in a bit of a dilemma now, Has this just happened because of water getting in the electrics when it was getting hosed down or will it something else.

Im supposed to be going to see the car in a couple of hours.

cheers

help would be greatly appreciated!

the code could come back after a few miles of driveing
iv never and never would jet the engine bay on any car let alone a audi with all the sensors
16486/P0102/000258 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70): Signal too Low [h=4]Possible Symptoms[/h]
  • Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
  • Loss of Power
[h=4]Possible Causes[/h]
  • Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70) faulty
  • Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70) faulty
[h=4]Possible Solutions[/h]
  • Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70)
  • Check/Replace Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF/G70)
[h=4]Special Notes[/h]
  • In MY 1995-2002 (?) in Europe at VW-diesel-cars G70 had the bad reputation of slowly losing his performance, causing loss of power. It's not a matter of defective or breaking down, but it is filthy / dirty (not easy to clean). You can check functionality by making a log in [01-engine], [meas.blocks-08], group 003 (3e gear, full throttle, from 1700-4000rpm)

So worst case senario If I buy the car is new Air flow meter and possable diagnostics at audi.

cheers

looks that was id ask for a 100£ reduction on price
incase its ****ed
and dont go to audi for a scan
for them to scan and fit a new maf would be around £250
get a member to scan or a indi garage

I mean the guy sounds honest about i he didnt have to tell me as the light is now off,So will still go through and take a look and mabe do as you said.

any other help is also appreciated.

cheers

he does sound honest
also sounds like hes got a scanner
take it for a longgggg drive and ask him to scan it after

Update,

So went over and had a look at the car,the guy pluged diagnostics ito it and it was showing the maf fault.Anyway the car was stunning and it drove perfect so he took £100 off the price. Well chuffed drove all the way home with no problems.

But then...... I poped the hood and noticed that the Air fuel meter was not connected and the plug was hidden under the air ducting.Pluged it back in so I think that should solve it the light is still on but this obviously just needs reset.

So I can only think the guy accidently knocked the plug off while hosing the engine bay down and didnt notice it had fallen under air box.

i think he will have unpluged the maf to make it run better
see how you go with it plugged in but you got the money spare now to buy a new 1
if you do need to get a new 1 dont buy cheap crappy aftermarket stuff go to audi tps etc
its hard to knock the plug off and it fall under the airbox

oh and wheres the pics of the new car ?????????????????/

audi.jpg

Have just ordered a fault code reader so I will reset it and see if it comes back on

looking good

What difference would it make disconnecting it completely? I have emailed him and asked if he did disconnect it.

when the maf fails car can run lumpy cut out crap idle etc
unpuuging will keep it from cutting out normal idle etc
when i think my maf is failing i unplug it if it always just makes it run better but will use more fuel

ok I see,am waiting on him getting back to me so will see what he says.

any idea what the part number is ?

how do I buy from tps?

cheers

i dont know part number for yours
i go through a mate trade for tps
try gsf but buy the best 1 they always have chepo aswell
they will know part u need from reg

Hi,

Right the guy got back to me and did not disconnect it,he was quite an honest chap so have no reason to suspect he would lie about it. Mabe I didnt mention but he is a trader and got the car direct from Audi so he had only covered about 200 miles in it himself.

He cant understand why the light had never cam on at any point of him using it,until he power washed the engine.he also thought mabe he had accidently knocked it off.

It doesnt make much sense but strange how the light came on right after it was jet washed and points to the connector mabe being a bit loose before he jet washed it.

hopwfully that is the case as It should just mean re-connect and reset the fault.

thanks
for all the help by the way