Chris NottMonster Motorsport
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By andymartin045

Thread: Potential purchase

Reverse Gear

Status

Potential purchase

Hey guys,

Had a test drive in a B7 2.0TFSI Quattro S-Line today, which I'm considering buying. The spec is good, and it seems to drive OK which is positive.

On the test drive I had cause to park up for a few mins, and while I did so I had a good look around the car with the engine running. The engine was warm but sounded quite tappy/tappety at idle - is this normal?

Also, the drivers door handle was loose - it still worked, but was loose to the touch and clunked when the door was slammed - would this be an easy fix do you think?

Any thoughts?

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    I drive a diesel so with that in mind...............
    I understand from other postings on this forum that the tapping noise is a characteristic of the injection system on the petrol Audis.
    Why don't you listen to another and then draw your own conclusions ?
    As to the door handle being lose I would ask why ?

More importantly if you have ever any doubts about any car, FORGET IT and look elsewhere.
    Remember, a fool and his money are easily parted !

Neutral

Status
    hi, alex, the tappy sound is quite normal for the tfsi as its all to do with how the fuel is injected at higher pressure than other turbo engines that makes is sound more like a diesel than a petrol. ive been assured by audi master tech's that this is intrinsic of the tfsi engine.
    ive also had a problem with the door handle and its a quick fix; open the handle and you'll be able to see the two silver hinges, simply slide a thin metal ruler or something similar and shunt the handle backwards
    2005 2.0T DTM quattro 281bhp,
    Carbon Fibre, MFSW, BOSE, Bluetooth, Parking Aids, Nav Plus, Recaro Leather & Alcantara, S4 Mirrors, RS4 pedals, H&R springs, RS4 ARB, Spacers, Debadged, Auto Lights/Mirror/Wipers, Silent Forge DV & Vredstein Ultrac Sessanta Tyres. Awful Mileage and some TTS Roadsport stickers!

1st Gear

Status
    I had loose a door handle too. Old rac Plastic card worked a treat with the above method. There are some how ti's with pics on forums reguarding this if u Google it.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
    Audi A4 2lt 170 TDI Quattro s-line, B7, BRD engine code. Mods so far; cruise control, DPF delete, EGR delete, unicorn remap, B5 perches, RS4 rear arb, RNSE with SDS, 2013 maps with speed cams, aux in, powermax remanufactured balancer, Sachs SRE organic clutch and pressure plate with LUK flywheel. Mods to do; s4 break upgrade, glove box fridge perhaps...

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the constructive comments - glad to hear that the tappety noises are normal and the handle is an easy fix.

@Paul B7, I wasn't having doubts about the car I was merely asking the collective experience of the forum about something that could have been a well known issue and an easy fix. Turns out it was on both counts.

Thanks everyone

Neutral

Status
    If you do get the car, check the coil packs in the engine: simply unplug and lift out using a flathead screw driver on on the thicker lip, pull out and check the part no, it should read 07K 905 715 F the "F" meaning its the latest edition. If you have an earlier letter at the end of the part no., you'll be eligible for 4 brand new coil packs, free of charge, from Audi under their "28E9 Product Enhancement Campaign" ring up Audi and check, your engine will thank you and at about £35-£40 per coil pack, so will your wallet.
    the following VAG engines come under the campaign;

1.8 ltr TMPI
    2.7 ltr TMPI
    2.8 ltr FSi
    3.0 ltr MPI
    3.2 ltr MPI
    3.2 ltr FSi
    3.6 ltr FSi
    3.7 ltr MPi
    4.2 ltr MPi
    1.8 ltr TFSi
    2.0 ltr MPi
    2.0 ltr FSi
    2.0 ltr TFSi
    2.4 ltr MPi
    4.2 ltr FSi
    5.2 ltr FSi
    6.0 ltr MPI
    (list compiled from Sarge @ Tyresmoke)
    Last edited by andymartin045; 5th February 2012 at 12:26.
    Phantom_A4 likes this.
    Carbon Fibre, MFSW, BOSE, Bluetooth, Parking Aids, Nav Plus, Recaro Leather & Alcantara, S4 Mirrors, RS4 pedals, H&R springs, RS4 ARB, Spacers, Debadged, Auto Lights/Mirror/Wipers, Silent Forge DV & Vredstein Ultrac Sessanta Tyres. Awful Mileage and some TTS Roadsport stickers!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Super, thanks Andy!

Reverse Gear

Status
    By the way, we noticed on the test drive that the interior sun visors didn't have lights with the mirrors like in other cars (like my old A3 and S3s) - is that right?

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    some have the lighting pack some dont
    the engine is noisey over other petrols as mentioned above
    if you cant hear it in the car then it should be about right if you can hear it on tickover in the car forget it
    as above with door handle easy fix

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks all Going to go and have another look at the car later this week (if it's not gone already)..

Reverse Gear

Status
    Missed out on that car sadly - it had been sold by the time I got there again

One question while I look at others on Auto Trader - is it relatively easy to retrofit Sat Nav and Bluetooth, if I find a car that has everything else I want?

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    its very easy to fit nav and bt also dis cruise etc etc

Abb
    2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by andymartin045 View Post
    If you do get the car, check the coil packs in the engine: simply unplug and lift out using a flathead screw driver on on the thicker lip, pull out and check the part no, it should read 07K 905 715 F the "F" meaning its the latest edition. If you have an earlier letter at the end of the part no., you'll be eligible for 4 brand new coil packs, free of charge, from Audi under their "28E9 Product Enhancement Campaign" ring up Audi and check, your engine will thank you and at about £35-£40 per coil pack, so will your wallet.

1.8 ltr TMPI
    2.7 ltr TMPI
    2.8 ltr FSi
    3.0 ltr MPI
    3.2 ltr MPI
    3.2 ltr FSi
    3.6 ltr FSi
    3.7 ltr MPi
    4.2 ltr MPi
    1.8 ltr TFSi
    2.0 ltr MPi
    2.0 ltr FSi
    2.0 ltr TFSi
    2.4 ltr MPi
    4.2 ltr FSi
    5.2 ltr FSi
    6.0 ltr MPI
    I rang up and they told me my car didnt need them doing, ie was unaffected, but I think mines on that list. Its a 4.2 S4 , is that the same as the 4.2s on the list??
    Audi S4 quattro cabriolet in dolphin grey metallic, Audi exclusive crimson red leather/black piping, red hood, carbon inlays, RNSE, tiptronic gearbox with paddleshift, electrically adjustable & heated seats, 6 disc multichanger, DVD multichanger, monitors in headrestraints, xenon headlights with power wash, cruise control, folding door mirrors, storage pack, 19" OE VW Touareg wheels with 25mm spacer/adapters all round, non res cat back quad tipped Milltek exhaust, lowered 30mm on H&R springs

Neutral

Status
    Im not too sure, either they have it on record that the coil packs for that particular car have all ready been changed or the list is wrong and your coil packs never needed changing. the easiest way it to check the part number on them and see it matches 07K 905 715 (X) and then see what the last letter is at the end. any earlier than an "F" and they need changing. let me know as you would be in line for 8 coil packs FOC and that'll be saving some serious money! (£320 ish)

Reverse Gear

Status
    Have been reading about the 2.0T engine on Wikipedia and apparently in the B7 it comes in 2 variants, a 197bhp and a 220bhp. How can I tell which one is which?

Neutral

Status
    The 220bhp version is the DTM edition, to be sure just look in the service book and V5 where it will list the power. 147Kw = 200bhp and 162Kw=220bhp. The engines are the same just a slightly different maping.

The power is also listed on the vehicle specification sticker which is in the well in the boot where the spare wheel is.

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks to AndyMartin, am going to go and check my Coil Packs, where ever they are under the bonnet!
    2005 B7 A4 2.0T in Moro Blue

Interior, Number Plate & Sidelight LED's from T8ups, 18" 9 Spoke TT Wheels.
    BGB Engine Code.

5th Gear

Status
    It's not just the dtm version, its the special editions that also have 220
    09 S4 3.0 Supercharged MRC Stage 2 remap 480BHP

07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, plus loads of mods - SOLD

1st Gear

Status
    Engine code for 162kW (220 ​BHP) is BUL

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Custardsucker View Post
    Engine code for 162kW (220 ​BHP) is BUL
    Thanks for the responses guys - it would appear that the car I bought yesterday afternoon is a 220BHP variant then

1st Gear

Status

1.8 ltr TMPI
    2.7 ltr TMPI
    2.8 ltr FSi
    3.0 ltr MPI
    3.2 ltr MPI
    3.2 ltr FSi
    3.6 ltr FSi
    3.7 ltr MPi
    4.2 ltr MPi
    1.8 ltr TFSi
    2.0 ltr MPi
    2.0 ltr FSi
    2.0 ltr TFSi
    2.4 ltr MPi
    4.2 ltr FSi
    5.2 ltr FSi
    6.0 ltr MPI
    Car booked in at Audi Stockport next week for Coil Pack changeover.
    All they needed was my registration and it brought up the eligible recall immediately.
    Winner, thanks andymartin.
    2005 B7 A4 2.0T in Moro Blue

Interior, Number Plate & Sidelight LED's from T8ups, 18" 9 Spoke TT Wheels.
    BGB Engine Code.

Abb
    2nd Gear

Status
    Im not too sure, either they have it on record that the coil packs for that particular car have all ready been changed or the list is wrong and your coil packs never needed changing. the easiest way it to check the part number on them and see it matches 07K 905 715 (X) and then see what the last letter is at the end. any earlier than an "F" and they need changing. let me know as you would be in line for 8 coil packs FOC and that'll be saving some serious money! (£320 ish)
    Eventually got my coil pack out, reads 077 905 115Q, so I take it they are not eligible!
    Audi S4 quattro cabriolet in dolphin grey metallic, Audi exclusive crimson red leather/black piping, red hood, carbon inlays, RNSE, tiptronic gearbox with paddleshift, electrically adjustable & heated seats, 6 disc multichanger, DVD multichanger, monitors in headrestraints, xenon headlights with power wash, cruise control, folding door mirrors, storage pack, 19" OE VW Touareg wheels with 25mm spacer/adapters all round, non res cat back quad tipped Milltek exhaust, lowered 30mm on H&R springs