boot lid wont shut when icey...

jonny87

Reaction score
so whenever we have a half decent frost i go in my boot to get the deicer, but then i cant shut the boot again, obviously because of the cold the metal has contracted just enough for the boot catch to not engage properly

has anbody else got/had this problem and got any ideas on solving it?

please dont say keep the deicer in the car not the boot ;)

its a 55 reg dtm by the way

thanks in advance

How strange, have exactly the same problem usually when temperature is -2 degC or less. Very frustrating. Given a hard enough shove I can get it to engage but the car still thinks it's open. I ended up WD40-ing the locking mechanism but temperature has dropped sufficiently for a retry.

yeah i have to really slam it but even then its not shut properly, one bump in the road would open it again :(

this would be very frustrating if we lived in russia lol

ive got to go to my local audi dealer at some point maybe they can help or at least give us an explaination as to why this happens, scared of putting my back windscreen through from all the excessive slamming of the boot :(

Could it be that the handle is sticking slightly in when you open the boot and then not allowing the catch mechanism to latch properly. Worth checking the handle is returning fully before shutting it

well twice ive checked the mechanism (when icey) and both times its been free as a bird and seems to be operating as normal, maybe ill whack some spray grease on for good measure

This has a very simple solution guys!!!
Get yourself a can of spray grease with a straw attached on the end push the straw deep in an around the latch and absolutely drench the latch with spray grease, and bobs your uncle!
I had the same problem a you everytime it was cold boot would not shut, so i did this with the spray grease bout two months ago now, and it has worked perfectly everytime since, it was -3 here this morning, perfect test, and it worked as a dream!!

..Humm come to think of it when my latch failed it was also freezing outside, I ended up buying a new latch (£35) never had any issues since....the part number is 4F5827505D

nice one guys, deffo putting some spray grease on there and if that fails a new latch it is :D

How did it go guys?? Did you give the spray grease method a go?

Nope, although it only took three slams to shut it although the sensor didn't fix itself. It's better and it was colder so I'll be using more WD40 before I find some better grease.

Any ideas how much a new catch is just in case I break mine?

mines in the garage having new clutch and fly fitted so will be wd40'ing/greasing on the weekend ;)

will update though (lots of cold weather on the way so hope it works)