2.0 Tdi Whine (Cam belt ?)

I

imported_sregorap

Any thoughts on this appreciated, I have just clocked 2,000 miles on my 2.o tdi S-Line and although it is getting a little quiter there is a definate Whine that sounds very much like an over tight cam belt. I have not driven any other cars with this engine, has anybody heard a similar sound from the 2.0 tdi. Previous car was the 1.9tdi but that did not do this when new.

Cheers
Tony.R

Mine whines too.... It does sound like a cam belt whine.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Could it be an idler or tensioner?
My '97 TDI is very noisy from the belt and it's been diagnosed as an idler - it's been replaced once but has returned. I'm surprised it should be noticeably on a new car though, mine has done 179,000 miles.

Quick update, car has been back to the dealer (air bag system failure) and I am assured they all make this noise " its a characteristic of this engine" , must admit two on the forecourt also had the same whine.

Only really noticable at slow speeds, so I guess the cure is easy....

Yep, Afraid so.
The whine at low revs is, as they say, ' a feature not a fault'
Bit of a ****** though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hi.... I am new to these forums but an absolute Audi-nut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My dad is on his 2nd 2.0TDI (1st one being involved in a terrible accident - thats another story- but thank Audi's safety for both my mum and him surving albeit minor injuries), but both the cars had whine at low revs. It is indeed a bit annoying.

Ved