Loose number plate light

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
When I started the car this morning, the DIS flagged up a bulb error in the number plate light. Closer examination revealed that the bulb has not blown, but the light assembly (the left hand one) has come away from its housing slightly. When I pushed it back into place, ther bulb illuminated immediately.

As far as I could tell in the dark, the light assembly is held in place by a single screw at one end, and it is this end that was lifting away. Initially, I thought I might just wait until it was light, and tighten the screw, but then I realised the screw itself doesn't seem to be loose. I'm beginning to wonder if the screw is broken somewhere along the thread, and there's a stub end left inside somewhere.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if they did, was it an easy fix? I tried searching the forum for "number plate light", but all I got was lots of advice on how to fit LEDs, heheh!

Thanks

Last edited:
I bought some screws for model trains off ebay to replace them. Just measure the size and bang it into ebay.

problem is the head is so mangled now I'll only be able to take it out once more, and wouldn't want to risk putting it back in in case the grooves totally go, and obviosuly can;t have it hanging out until I get replacements, anyone got the size of them?

I've seen a thread before about using small allen key bolts but can't find it...

I've just had another look, in a little bit more light (albeit not very much more - the car is in the underground car park at work). It's not the main assembly that's dangling off, just the lens/bulb holder, and although there is a hole in the lens where the screw is, it doesn't seem to act as a retainer for the lens/bulb holder. I think the screw just passes through the lens. I was able to unclip the lens and holder and pull it out altogether. When I pushed it back, the inner edge slotted back into place with a retaining lug, but it's still holding off on that outer edge.

Last edited:
legend, thanks Paula!!! fed up of it coming on randomly as an error. Keeps connecting then not connecting, so doesn't stay as a permanent error, and thus keeps beeping all the time, been doing my nut in for weeks!!!

I had the same on mine last month, a small section of the lens...the bit that kept the screw attached to the lens, had broken away. Small pot of super glue and a bit of patience and it was fixed...

legend, thanks Paula!!! fed up of it coming on randomly as an error. Keeps connecting then not connecting, so doesn't stay as a permanent error, and thus keeps beeping all the time, been doing my nut in for weeks!!!

You're very welcome, Razza! :wub: xx

I had the same on mine last month, a small section of the lens...the bit that kept the screw attached to the lens, had broken away. Small pot of super glue and a bit of patience and it was fixed...

I think that will be my remedy.

Had the same problem recently, i found out some new screws so i didn't chew up the old ones and they seemed to hold them tighter.

Just make sure you push and clip it up hard enough as sometimes it looks like its in but its not, the rubber surrounds can easily catch.

Oh and as for LED'S i have tried LED's from £5 to £30 a pair and none of them work without bulb errors! on the b7

Oh and as for LED'S i have tried LED's from £5 to £30 a pair and none of them work without bulb errors! on the b7

mine are error free :) were £26 I think from ebay, only reason for the error every now and again is the contact isn't touching properly as the holder isn't in tight enough. when i press it back in the unti lights up again and the error goes. My left hand side one is fine and is completly error free as it sits in enough.

Glue didn't work, so I phoned Bexley Audi. They had a new lens/bulb holder good to go for £8.71. They even, wait for it, threw in a new bulb free of charge.