EGR Delete - 3.0 TDI A4

David Cook

Reaction score
Ok, so I found out that the oil leak I have is due to a seal somewhere on the EGR valve letting go.

So I have a decision, I am planning a R-Tech remap anytime soon, so do I replace the EGR, or go for the EGR delete.

Has anyone done this and can you let me know the pros and cons, will it improve anything in the response and performance if I delete it, or should I leave as Audi designed and just replace it?

Car is an 56 plate 3.0 TDi Avant Multitronic.

Look forward to your views and comments.

David

Delete it. I got R-Tech to tweek my existing AMD remap (it was too torquey and not linear power) and also R-Tech removed my EGR function as i had fitted blanking plates in. Its better for the engine, even if you dont have any existing EGR problems because no more recirculated gases will be entering the engine, leaving your engine cleaner and inlet manifold less full of carbon deposits. You'll also be getting 100% fresh air into the combustion chamber rather than a mixture of air/exhaust. It'll take longer for the car to heat up in the winter however but if you can cope with that then go for it!

All the best,

Fahim

Interested in getting this EGR delete done. I'm assuming this is simply just a software delete on the ECU as opposed to actually removing and blanking it off? How much did R-Tech charge just out of interest?

I was thinking about getting a remap done, but after reading some posts and mine being a manual I may just leave it as it is. :shrug:

My EGR needed replacing so I bought a blanking plate and fitted it, whilst the EGR is still physically attached it is now blanked and effectively redundant.

Had the car mapped and EGR deleted in the map, after that at R-Tech and from memory they charged me £325, took most of the day as its not a generic map due to rarity of getting the 3.0 TDi mapped.

What I really wanted to find out about is whether the EGR "software delete" simply disables it or do they actually readjust fuelling to compensate? As you may or may not already know, EGR is designed to reduce NOx by keeping combustion temperatures below certain temperatures. Therefore fuelling has to be set by the ECU to account for the changes in the EGR system/valve. So if it was simply disabled, the fuelling would be incorrect in areas where EGR would normally operate if that makes sense? Perhaps it's probably a question I should bring forward with R-Tech themselves really.

The above is why I'm in two minds to do an EGR delete or not. Don't quite fancy a remap as I've heard the manual clutches don't really take to it too well.

When the EGR is disabled, the map that controls it's duty cycle is one of them that is altered. Because the ECU knows that the valve is now always closed, it knows that this is no longer a source of air and takes action accordingly. However, there are more complicated areas relating to having clean air rich in oxygen such as injection timing which should be altered.

Thanks, Rick

When the EGR is disabled, the map that controls it's duty cycle is one of them that is altered. Because the ECU knows that the valve is now always closed, it knows that this is no longer a source of air and takes action accordingly. However, there are more complicated areas relating to having clean air rich in oxygen such as injection timing which should be altered.

Thanks, Rick

I'm aware you guys can't speak on behalf of other companies, but do you generally do all of the above when performing EGR software deletes?