Gear selection problem!!

t111bul

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2005 2.0Tfsi Quattro and it is dificult to get in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear but especially 2nd gear but only on the upchange. Is it time for the for an oil change? Is there a oil treatment i can use use or is there a problem with the gearbox?
Has anyone else had the same problem?

Thanks

Tim

Hi Tim

I'm no expert, but a few quick questions that might help you get a reply from someone who is!
1) I'm guessing its a manual?
2) when was the oil changed before? (if ever!)
3) what sort of mileage is the car?
4) Are the gears grinding, when you change?
5) I'm guessing the clutch is fine if you can change it other gears ok?

Not an answer to you question I know (sorry!!) but might help us, to help you! :)

Hi,

Yes the car is manual, pretty sure the oil has never been changed(only had the car a couple of week), the car has done 59000, the gear do grind a bit as bit when selected and th clutch seems strong.

Hi, I had a similar problem on my car (2.0 TDI 170 Quattro) found it difficult to select 2nd gear.... sometimes it wouldn't go, so had to go straight into 3rd.
As the car was under warranty, they tried loads of things:
Put in a gearbox oil additive..... no good!
Changed the gearbox oil.......... no good!
Changed 2nd gear & synchro.... no good!

Eventually, it was solved by adjusting the selector mechanism!!! (I don't know how, but that's what it was)

Thanks marky67 the selector sounds like a good place to start. Does anyone know how the selector is adjusted?

It may be totally irrelevant, I find when we have days of prolonged cold weather its clunky getting into 1st and 2nd however in the milder weather (Above 10 degrees) its smooth.

Strange I know but it’s something I’ve got used to

It may be totally irrelevant, I find when we have days of prolonged cold weather its clunky getting into 1st and 2nd however in the milder weather (Above 10 degrees) its smooth. Strange I know but it’s something I’ve got used to

I also see the same. Freezing weather, car won't always go into reverse or first until it's warmed up.

If I switch off the engine, it goes in smoothe as you like.. I'm almost certain this points at the clutch or a related component.. I have no problems when it's +10 out there, and I'm sure I'll be in for a new clutch in the next couple of years.

I've got the exact same problem on my 3.0tdi 6 speed manual, but it only started doing it after having a new clutch fitted. I've been told the gear selector has no adjustments. Is mine a different gearbox, or does someone know how/where to adjust. Mine only does it about once a month. I've just paid £20 on just aswer and the 'audi expert' says stick Red Line MTL should solve it. If not the only thing he can think of would be a problem with the pilot bearing hanging up. If this were the cause the transmission would need to be removed. I'll be changing to this oil next week and will report back!

Lets start by asking you to test this in the same way I did - do you only have the problem with the engine running like me (i.e. clutch spinning) or at all times?

I'm looking forward to my clutch wearing out so I can take it to SJB Autotech and get it solved once and for all. I will work around the problem until then - what a shame the original owner didn't spot it and get it done under warranty.