A4 Avant Mountain Bike Carrying

121graham

Reaction score
Has anyone got some advice on how I can get 4 mountain bikes onto the roof rack of my 56 plate A4 Avant? I can get 4 on the roof of our lasses VW Polo but using the same system I can only get 3 onto the A4. I bought this car to be a practical family car but we have to take the Polo when we want to take the bikes :-/

i am after a roof system for mine too!
have you tried alternating the pattern?
front wheel forward on 1 then rear forward on the next and so on?
let me know dude!

I did, but because the roof rails narrow to the rear of the car I can only get three carriers on it ... The frame with no wheels won't even fit in the back without dropping the seats :-( everyone told me my BM coupe was impractical for a family but I got four on that ... There must be a way to do it ...

hmm! tricky,
roof mounting is really the best bet so just try and find some configuration that works!
i had a boot rack off the last car, and i am not too keen on using this as the glass is bonded straight to tailgate, meaning the rack clamps onto glass! not good!
if you really cant find a pattern that lets you fit all 4 bikes onto the roof, then maybe your only option would have to be a tow bar rack from thule?

I have a tow bar rack but no towbar on this car ... It'd be no good for when we go camping either cos we use the trailer :-/

I may be able to help, i have a set of aluminimum roof bars for my Avant which i put 2 bike carriers on. From memory i think you could get another 2 carriers on the same bars. I have a spare set which i bought for the wifes car but they are still unpoened so would happily sell them if they suit your needs. Best bet is to measure the length of the bars you have and i will see if mine are longer or not, if they are it may be a solution.

Lay the bikes down on the rack and stack them up. Done. :)

You can get bike racks that go on the tow bar but they also allow you to use the tow bar for the trailer or caravan.
Also check the maximum carry weigh of the roof bars. its about 75kg I think.

Audi/Thule bars are the same I think, there's nothing to stop you getting a wider set of aero bars for your original 'feet' and then putting a 4 bike rack on them is there?

I'm wondering what ANDYTQ disliked about my post?

ban-button.jpg