Airbag light woes

lewie

Reaction score
My airbag light come on a couple of weeks ago and had it reset, today it's just come on again today.
Any ideas?
Apparently it was the passengers airbag

check for loose or corroded connections under the seat.
Please be very careful when playing with airbag wireing, dissconnect the car battery.
you will need VCDS to clear the airbag light.

So I will need to disconnect the battery before unplugging under the seat

Can i buy any of these 'cheap' diagnostic tools from ebay to fix this??

I "think" you need a genuine cable to turn the light off.
look for a member in your area, there should be a thread listing all members willing to help in the vcds section

Can i buy any of these 'cheap' diagnostic tools from ebay to fix this??

From what i have read many times on here, the cheap cables are not the way to go. Although the genuine vcds cables are expensive, they are the best and you get all upgrades on the software free. If you think about buying the genuine cable, Nigel, user NHN is the man to pm. Just look around on the vcds forum and you will see he is "the man" you will get fast, efficent service and in the long run, its money well spent as
You would get so much use from it.

I had the similar airbag light, Audi fixed the problem and said it was a faulty connector under the passenger seat, they knew about it and there was a standard modification to fix it, to my knowledge this involved changing a badly designed connector for a more update one.

as for VAGcom, I bought 2 from Ebay, one really cheap and one about £40, the really cheep one won't work on a B7 chassis other than doing the basics like stereo, bt and the likes, the £40 worked a treat just check its B7 compatible before you buy, mine came with the software too and as of yet It hasn't told me I don't have the license to do anything. from memory you need one that supports HEX + CAN I found one with the same specs as this official one

Ross-Tech: HEX-USB+CAN Interface

What does VCDS stand for?
I have had the Airbag light on my dash for past 3/4 months and I really want to get rid of it now.
I had thought about de-activating the Passenger Airbag for 5 mins and then re-activating to see if that cleared it (bit like a re-boot of your PC to fix everything) but cannot find any way of doing that as there no obvious key slots or buttons in the glove box or similar.

Cheers, Dan.