steering heavy when parking on lock

tubby

Reaction score
anyone had this issue front tyres are shot and will be replaced next few days,when driving its fine just when parking on steering goes heavy if you pick the revs up abit it free's up,

The fluid is on max and clean no noises etc could this be a rack or pump issue any help please only had it 3 days but i did notice it i thought when buying but having large tyres and being a new car to me didnt think any thing of it doesent seem to do it all the time,

running standard 18" s line 235 40 18's

My a3 does it too mate. Dont think it's anything wrong. Like you say, a few revs and it loosens up. Maybe the power steering pump is driven from the timing belt, so more revs = more hydraulic pressure. Don't take my word for it though, more often than not I'm wrong!

just an update it dont make any difference if you rev up the engine stearing is fine in the centre and a turn and half either way its when its on nearly full lock mainly on right hand down does not do it all the time !

look into powersteering pump failure mate, very very common. just done one on a skoda vrs for the exact same problem.

there are companys that recondition them, but im not sure if its really that much cheaper than buying brand new. we always fit genuine new parts, but we have had leaflets through the post about recon'd units, same for abs units.

It's most probably the worn tyres, all cars I've had have done this - but I must say I've noticed in more on by B7 quattro