Blue smoke with morning cold start

Rock

Reaction score
Hello everyone, google bring me here as my car has some problem. Would be great if someone can give advices.

My car has blue smoke 20k miles ago, it happens every cold start. The clock was showing 130k miles. I was using 5w 40 engin oil to top up. The smoke could last 2 mins in the summer morning.

My clock is showing 154k miles now. It still has blue smoke from every cold start, especially in the morning, but getting less about 15 seconds. The different is I'm using 5w 30 engine oil, and the weather is cold.

Apart from the smoke, everything works fine. Oil consumption is 2500 miles per liter which not bad. Audi says I might need replace all injectors and the cylinder head, quoted £4700 inc labour, but I haven't had any trouble with that, the car still runs. I'm just worrying about the mot, don't think the smoke would let me pass.

A little history: the car had been broke down on motorway coz the inter cooler pipe connector was disconnected, the AA ppl fixed it, but he says he find some engine oil sticked on inside of the pipe, so there should be some kind of leaking?

Car: Audi A4 estate, 57 reg, 1.9 tdi, 154400 miles 99% motorway. BRB engine.

Last edited:
Sounds like valve guide oil seals. But someone with more knowledge than me will be along soon.

Every now and then give the car a good rev to the red line but only when the car is warm, it will clear the turbo and other engine components of the car, this could solve your problem. it will not do it any harm if you do it every now and then, just as long as it is warm, it could be the distribution of the fuel through the exhaust not distributed through the exhaust system properly causing the more fuel to escape ? is it using more fuel than before ?

or you might need a new inter cooler pipe as when the source travels through it will re act with the oil stuck inside the pipe causing the blue smoke, you will have to go and get it checked out somewhere professional for a definite answer.

I had a neighbour with a 1.9tdi Golf with EXACTLY the same symptoms as you have described and even after reconditioning the head it was still DOING THE SAME. Three years or more on and he still has the car, it still behaves the same and it still PASSES the MOT.

or you might need a new inter cooler pipe as when the source travels through it will re act with the oil stuck inside the pipe causing the blue smoke, you will have to go and get it checked out somewhere professional for a definite answer.

The inter cooler pipe was replaced with a brand new one, still has the blue smoke. But you are right, it has been using more fuel than before, was doing 52-55 mpg, but now it hang on 46mpg on motoway, and even i try to drive slower, it couldn't pass 49mpg.

Last edited:
Sounds like valve guide oil seals. But someone with more knowledge than me will be along soon.

this is what i'm thinking, the engine oil goes into gas tank during the night time.

take the turbo pipe off m8 and just inspect the amount of oil in there and the free play if theres any nut it is normal for a vw turbo pipe system to be oil soaked