b7 Headlight upgrade

a4man

Reaction score
Hello my 2007 A4 s-line has the halogen headlights are they any decent worthwhile upgrades?

Have you searched the forums or even google for all the other Audi forums out there?
I'd personally only go for OEM Bi-xenons but from the tutorials I found, it's not a quick easy/cheap mod

I have looked around but just unsure what to go for thought i would ask other b7 owners to see what they did and what looks right.

theres a set of bi xenon's for your car on ebay now, £449 for the complete head light units with ballists etc. far as im aware all you will need is codeing, which is a piece of ****, literally swapping number codes around used something like ross tech.

i could be wrong with this info, but im looking at silimar conversion eventually my self........

Would the self levelling kit be necessary as well as headlight washers?

Yes both these systems are required in the new year, plus some rewiring & new wiring, give me a shout if need an installer.

What is the problem with fitting HID's to the car apart from not having washers as standard?

Its required by law, come jan, to have said systems fitted or your car will be failed at mot time.

And my expereince of just fitting HIDs to the standard halogen reflectors is that the beam pattern is so awful I stripped them out after a few weeks. Seemed too blinding to other drivers as well (even when adjusted correctly).

Without the crystal ball & systems fitted, it is terrible.

Hi
Currently have '05 plate A4 (B7-8E?) and back in 2005 got HIDs fitted - no problems with it but my MOT is due in March 2012 and i understand aftermarket HIDs will now fail MOTs so thinking of having bi-xenons fitted with auto levelling. Won't come cheap i know, was thinking of using Hazzy Dayz to get them supplied/installed (i'm hopeless at DIY!) but will cost >£2k so want to know if i can get it done cheaper? Could i buy this kit:
KUFATEC GmbH & Co. KG - aLWR Komplettset Bi-Xenon Audi A4 B7 33870
and then ask someone on these forums if they could fit them at a fair price? I live in North Scotland (Inverness), however i know people won't come that far for installation so i'd be happy to bring my car over to someone in Scotland or North of England. Any suggestions?

Cheers
psycho :)

hey psycho
I'm not sure that its the after market HID's that will cause you to fail you MOT. It the lack of a Headlight washing system! So before you run off and spend bundles on Bi-xenons you might what to price up a new front bumper!
I'm currently working on pricing this myself, but I have a S-line B7. So most (if not all) of the part numbers are slightly different.
But if it helps get you started, PM me and I'll give you the Part numbers for the list of stuff you'll need to start collecting :)

All the best
Rowdu
P.S Before you ask, I'm not the man to fit stiff like this! But I'm very good at holding the torch and making tea

I'm not sure that its the after market HID's that will cause you to fail you MOT.

I'm not the man to fit stiff like this!

Not sure how they will test for it, but afaik aftermarket kits will be a fail too regardless if has levelling etc fitted, its only oem headlights with levelling & headlamp washers.

Yes the job is a little long winded & expensive, but I supply/fit if you need a fitter, could do with a trip upto scotland :)

so let me get this right. Come jan if your car doesnt have headlight washer jet's it will fail mot?

just get your after market kit fitted, soon as its mot time, un plug the kit stick your normal halogens back in.

once car is tested just plug your hid's back in. small amount of work for 12 months of motoring with hid, amd none of the expence of all this self leveling stuff.

just what im going to to and im in the trade.......

oh and trups on here sells plug and play kits for the b7.