Speakers??

lionyo

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my 2007 A4 saloon none bose speakers but had a few questions...

What size are the front/rear door card speakers and where can I buy the speaker adaptors? And are these wires the right ones Audi Speaker Adaptor Lead PC2-807 | eBay

Also what size is the rear parcel shelf sub??

Thinking Alpine type r front door speakers and jbl rear for middle treble/bass?

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction!

Last edited:
1. Are you going to change cd player for aftermaket or want to keep standard one?
2. How much money you want to spend on it?
3. What do you want from the system? Sound quality or more boom?

1. Are you going to change cd player for aftermaket or want to keep standard one?
2. How much money you want to spend on it?
3. What do you want from the system? Sound quality or more boom?

I'm going to leave the RNS-E sat nav.

Don't really have a budget..

I'm after better sound quality.

Last edited:
I will write you after top gear tonight.

Ok here we go.

Door speakers are 16cm so you can fit 6,5" or 7" ones. There is a high probability that you will need to change factory adapters to which speakers are mounted and build yourself ones from mdf. Not sure why you would need any adapters for the speaker wires when you can simply cut them in the door, use connectors and connect them. There are many better speakers than alpine (not counting F1's obviously) or jbl. As an example: focal, rainbow, morel, hertz, hybrid audio, brax. If you really want to change speakers you will have to go for component ones and stay away from coaxials. To be honest I wouldn't install any rear speakers and just focus on good front and sub but I understand that a lot of people do like some sound from behind for some reason.

Problem is that changing speakers on their own will not give you better quality. In fact it might be even worse.
If you have non bose system, your rear speakers and subwoofer are run through amplifier but front ones are from cd player.
Now, the problem is that if you stick better speakers in the door, they will be underpowered for most of the time because they are higher power than audi system. If they are underpowered you will lack control in both low and high.

The only way to "make" the system sound better is to use after-market amplifier. For front, rear & sub you would need 5-6 channels in total, so either:
- 2channel + 2 channel + 1(2) channel amps (3 amplifiers)
- 4 channel + 1(2) channel amps (2 amplifiers)
- 5(or 6) channel one (1 amplifier).
That's obviously if you don't want to go active because this would change.

Another problem with keeping RNSe is that there is no RCA output so you would need to use some additional processor like Audison BitTen, BitOne, JL Cleansweep or Alpine one, which are not cheap at all. You would need to get all new wiring (power, rca, speaker) to make it work. Also if you stick cash in front component speakers it would be rude not to sound deaden at least the door and boot.

I'm not sure what size the subwoofer is but it is tiny and I wouldn't bother to fit another one in the same place.
Any SQ 10" sub in a closed box will give you better results than sticking to factory place and will not take much space.

Overall, if you want to go SQ in B7, either go big or don't go at all.
It just won't be worth to buy speakers on their own because you will be disappointed.
You could probably get a nice system just under £2k if you bought front, sub, amp, wiring, deadening and processor and if you fitted it yourself. If you want to go really big... it might cost you more than B7. And that's why I drive with a standard system after spending over £6k in my Mondeo. I do miss it badly though... :(

cheap Chinese crap mate

Sorry mate but if you're looking for SQ you should not look at 6x9"s.
Soundstream was good more than 10 years ago and not because of speakers but amplifiers.
Some excellent amps like DaVinci, Human Reign. I still have 2 old school Reference series amps in my garage because at that time they were IMO one of the best sounding amps on the planet. All amps were made by hand but since they moved factory to China they became just the same products as jbl, vibe or macaudio. Nothing special really.

hi yer Iionyo

bit new to the site just been reading your thread did you sort out your stereo issues just to give you some more to think on I took a slightly different approach first thing I got rid off was the audi stereo rubbish and the so called bose speakers are even worse I have an 05 plate b7 cab I re-wired the whole front end with new power cable then toyed with different speakers in the end I got hertz mille 280 tweeters and 2 sets of hertz hcx 165 the rear were easy to do just waiting to put dynamat behind them getting studio in car to put the fronts in with MDF rings and retrim the front doors some jobs are left to the pro's

but I did spend big 2 massive audio amps in the front and 2 amps in the rear plus going to do subwoofer about half way through but is it worthit yes it is, the audi speakers are not bose quality the only part of the rear speakers which is bose is the sticker on them first speakers I hooked up were the pair of hertz 165 in the back what a breath of fresh air not like the audi rubbish