Coolant temp sensor location on 2.0 tdi BLB engine code

polo10v

Reaction score
Hi

Ive tried my best to find a guide onto were this sensor is, but i can only find onewith pics on a 2.0 tdi engine in a mk5 golf, which apart from it being fitted the 'normal' way round, the location of the sensor on that engine isnt the same as my BLB engine.

I have changed these before on my previous tt and leon and they were a piece of pxxs to do but ive got a feeling this wont be the case with this one!

ive located the fuel temp sender which is the same type of fitment so i know its not the one at top of engine!

i suspect its down at the back of the engine because i cannot see it anywere, and ive been elbow deep with torch tryna find out.

hope somebody can pin point the location for me.

cheers

hello

ive managed to find the sensor and change it after searching around in engine bay for half an hour again after no replies on here which if am honest im a little dissapointed ive 37+ views and no replies!

anyhow its located in the most pathetic and difficult places to reach, and took me an hour to change compared to the 5 mins it took on my prevoius audi tt!

its located almost centerd at the back of the engine block, if you look at the car square on you will see a simaler sensor(fuel temp) connected to fuel pipes on top of engine well its approx 30-40cmcm down from top of engine. the actual sensor is difficult to see even with a bright lamp but you can see the the 2 pin plug and wiring which connects into sensor.

to make things easier i loosend fuel filter and moved it out of way this will allow you to look down over back of engine and access sensor/clip from both sides, i also loosend a coolant pipe that goes to egr pipe i think(bronze coloured pipe?) i plugged this pipe to reduce coolant loss.

anyhow you are almost doing the sensor change blind as access and visibility is very poor, so obviously get a feel of were everything is before disconnecting clips and removing sensor which as soon as you do you will lose a considerable amount of coolant before you can get the new one in.

i replaced 'o' ring aswell. my old sensor has blue corrosion on end of it and although i had no fault codes i suspected it wasnt working 100%.

obviously anybody whos changed a temp sensor before will now the whole procedure of changing one its just more of a post to identify location of coolant sensor on this particular engine.

hope this is usefull to someone

cheers

Reactions: guyzza75
ive managed to find the sensor and change it after searching around in engine bay for half an hour again after no replies on here which if am honest im a little dissapointed ive 37+ views and no replies!

I doubt it's because no one wanted to help you; more likely that 37 people read the question and didn't know the answer (just as I didn't).

Glad you got it sorted.

Reactions: Molnboman
well i finally sussed it out!
all by myself..........
there is a horse shoe shaped clip that needs easing downwards towards the floor to release this sensor.
and then quite a bit of coolant is released, so, dont attempt this without a bottle of G13 at hand! :redface:
my sensor just like polo"s was corroded and blue! :wtf:
so this got filled in the bin,
i replaced this with a new o ring plus a 1.5litre bottle of G13 from TPS for £41 all in!
refiting was just the reverse of the above plus the ratio of the G13 antifreeze and water.
a bit of a tricky job but well worth it! it took just over an hour for me.
my fuel consumption has nearly halved now! so it is a no brainer really if your having fuel consumption issues, just to rule this out!
thanks to polo!
cheers dude!

Reactions: guyzza75
Thank you for posting the above it came in very handy when I changed mine today

Reactions: CHEZ