EM TuningSky Insurance
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    284

    Building an RS4 alternative - Start with an S4 or a 2.0TFSI??

    Hi folks. My first post here, so be gentle! I am currently deciding on what car I want next. I'm coming from an MR2 Turbo via a Subaru Impreza Wagon (classic) which is my winter car. Never been a huge 4WD fan, but am quite enjoying it in the Impreza.

    I'm looking for something more modern for the next car, and will be looking to spend between £7k and £12k tops. I've read in various tests that the 2.0T Quattro is lighter up front due to the smaller engine, and have wondered if it would make a better base car than the S4 for modifying it to around 360BHP and building a cut price RS4 alternative?

    Or would I be better going S4? Can I fit RS4 shocks directly to either car, and/or would aftermarket shocks or coilovers be a better bet? I don't want to go too extreme and lose the "Audiness" by modding it and making the suspension too harsh, but I do want to match the RS4's handling.

    Does the RS4 have any gadgets the other two don't? And can a T3 40:60 diff be fitted to the 2.0T? What year did they start fitting this diff to the S4?

    Sorry for all the questions. My Audi knowledge is not up to scratch.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    viceroy's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Sir Culation View Post
    Hi folks. My first post here, so be gentle! I am currently deciding on what car I want next. I'm coming from an MR2 Turbo via a Subaru Impreza Wagon (classic) which is my winter car. Never been a huge 4WD fan, but am quite enjoying it in the Impreza.

    I'm looking for something more modern for the next car, and will be looking to spend between £7k and £12k tops. I've read in various tests that the 2.0T Quattro is lighter up front due to the smaller engine, and have wondered if it would make a better base car than the S4 for modifying it to around 360BHP and building a cut price RS4 alternative?

    Or would I be better going S4? Can I fit RS4 shocks directly to either car, and/or would aftermarket shocks or coilovers be a better bet? I don't want to go too extreme and lose the "Audiness" by modding it and making the suspension too harsh, but I do want to match the RS4's handling.

    Does the RS4 have any gadgets the other two don't? And can a T3 40:60 diff be fitted to the 2.0T? What year did they start fitting this diff to the S4?

    Sorry for all the questions. My Audi knowledge is not up to scratch.
    Hello, and welcome.

    First off, the 2.0T will be cheaper to mod to RS4 power, but won't have that V8 sound, where the S4 will.
    Second, I'd stay away from fitting RS4 shocks. The RS4 uses DRC which is notorious for having issues with oil leaks, etc. Rather spend the cash on a decent set of Coilovers, and fit RS4 swaybars. This combo will give you OEM quality ride when cruising, and excellent performance when pushing it through the bends. One of my best mates has a RS4 and I'm running a 2.0T on Koni coilovers and his ride is teeth shattering at times, and we both prefer my suspension setup.

    In terms of gadgets, the RS4's come with those sport seats which have little airpumps which tighten up the bolsters when you hit the "S" button, carbon trim, push button engine start. Everything else was optional on the lesser B7's
    | 2009 A4 3.0TDI quattro tip | Ice Silver | 19" OEM RS4 style wheels | PDC | Sunroof | Black Leather | Symphony Radio | Aftermarket Navigation & DVD | RS4 mesh grille | Custom mesh fog grilles |

  4. #3
    solaris's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Slough, Berkshire
    Posts
    399
    There is a company in the states that can change the ratio of the centre differential from the current 2:1 to 4:1. (Note you will need to take out your centre differential and send it to them)...im not too sure if the s4 diff would fit the 2.0TFSi..i'd have to check part numbers and find out.
    If it's not longitudinal and it's not Quattro..it's not an Audi
    VCDS (VAG-COM) HEX-CAN USB cable carrying member
    2005 A4 DTM 2.0 TFSi Quattro :364Bhp/477NM - Mapped by MRC Tuning
    Hybrid K04 Project ongoing (link to Build thread)

    DMFW + Clutch For Sale



  5. #4
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    284
    Changing the ratio is cool and all, but it doesn't alter the normal drive to 40:60 does it?

  6. #5
    solaris's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Slough, Berkshire
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Sir Culation View Post
    Changing the ratio is cool and all, but it doesn't alter the normal drive to 40:60 does it?
    The current setup 2:1 diff gives between 33/66 to 66/33 front/rear split. The 4:1 upgrade would allow up to a 20/80 or 80/20 front/rear split. So as you can see the rear torque bias is increased massively.
    If it's not longitudinal and it's not Quattro..it's not an Audi
    VCDS (VAG-COM) HEX-CAN USB cable carrying member
    2005 A4 DTM 2.0 TFSi Quattro :364Bhp/477NM - Mapped by MRC Tuning
    Hybrid K04 Project ongoing (link to Build thread)

    DMFW + Clutch For Sale



  7. #6
    bez101's Avatar
    Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,947
    just buy an rs4
    if you get a 2.0T and mod it out for power looks and trim its gona cost as much as a rs4 would cost you
    and your never gona get the sound right

  8. #7
    1st Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by solaris View Post
    The current setup 2:1 diff gives between 33/66 to 66/33 front/rear split. The 4:1 upgrade would allow up to a 20/80 or 80/20 front/rear split. So as you can see the rear torque bias is increased massively.
    Yeah, but under normal driving, with equal traction, it would still run as 50:50 and not 40:60 wouldn't it?

  9. #8
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    just buy an rs4
    if you get a 2.0T and mod it out for power looks and trim its gona cost as much as a rs4 would cost you
    and your never gona get the sound right
    Or any of your money back... Seriously - just by and RS4 B5 or B7. Job done. Do some sums..
    05 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
    Black with a BIG wish list!

  10. #9
    solaris's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Slough, Berkshire
    Posts
    399
    Pros and cons here, you also have to consider the road tax, insurance and maintenance costs that the RS4 carries not to mention the fuel economy in comparison to a highy modified 2.0T.
    If it's not longitudinal and it's not Quattro..it's not an Audi
    VCDS (VAG-COM) HEX-CAN USB cable carrying member
    2005 A4 DTM 2.0 TFSi Quattro :364Bhp/477NM - Mapped by MRC Tuning
    Hybrid K04 Project ongoing (link to Build thread)

    DMFW + Clutch For Sale



  11. #10
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    485
    Big arches, bumpers, interior, steering wheel and all those other bits without even considering bodywork and paint will come to thousands! I've seen these cars come up for sale based on TDI's and 3.0L Quattros, they all say the same - 20k+ spent. And they only ever sell for half that!

    The money he will loose building an RS4 will go a long way to subsidising the road tax, insurance and maintenance costs of running a reall B5/B7 RS4..

    Just my opinion of course, I just hate to see people throwing away money. On the flip side, you could argue it is al about the experience of the build. A hobby, a past time - then who can argue with putting a cost against fun. ; )
    Last edited by AudiSport; 13th November 2011 at 10:10.
    05 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
    Black with a BIG wish list!

  12. #11
    jdp1962's Avatar
    Grumpy Old Man

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Cruising on a mountain of torque
    Posts
    5,324
    I'm with Audisport and Bez on this., If you want a dog, no point buying a cat and trying to make it bark.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.


  13. #12
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    485
    Buy a B7 A4 2.0T Quattro, fit a BIG turbo kit and tell us all about it. Regularly. Oh, and lots of action video's please ; )

    CLICK:
    Audi S3 3.2lt Turbo 800PS by 0-400 Tune 2 Race - POWER Techniques 131 Issue - - YouTube
    Last edited by AudiSport; 13th November 2011 at 10:15.
    05 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
    Black with a BIG wish list!

  14. #13
    6th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,884
    Only 800PS from a 3.2 That guy's not trying hard enough 1000+BHP B5 1.8T

  15. #14
    solaris's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Slough, Berkshire
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by AudiSport View Post
    Big arches, bumpers, interior, steering wheel and all those other bits without even considering bodywork and paint will come to thousands! I've seen these cars come up for sale based on TDI's and 3.0L Quattros, they all say the same - 20k+ spent. And they only ever sell for half that!

    The money he will loose building an RS4 will go a long way to subsidising the road tax, insurance and maintenance costs of running a reall B5/B7 RS4..

    Just my opinion of course, I just hate to see people throwing away money. On the flip side, you could argue it is al about the experience of the build. A hobby, a past time - then who can argue with putting a cost against fun. ; )
    My comment was more directed on tuning the engine to match RS4 performance. I would definately agree with you chaps in that it would not be worth while making the modifications to the body.
    If it's not longitudinal and it's not Quattro..it's not an Audi
    VCDS (VAG-COM) HEX-CAN USB cable carrying member
    2005 A4 DTM 2.0 TFSi Quattro :364Bhp/477NM - Mapped by MRC Tuning
    Hybrid K04 Project ongoing (link to Build thread)

    DMFW + Clutch For Sale



 

 

Similar Threads

  1. RS4 B7 doesn't start
    By slepy in forum RS4 Forum (B5 and B7 Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17th May 2011, 00:04
  2. rattle on start up, 2.0TFSI
    By chrisa4quat in forum Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14th December 2010, 21:50
  3. rs4~ smoke on start up
    By zero t in forum RS4 Forum (B5 and B7 Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15th May 2010, 09:31
  4. RS4 Avant Alternative?
    By smo in forum RS4 Forum (B5 and B7 Chassis)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13th September 2009, 14:29
  5. RS4 Start Button
    By JohnboyC in forum Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 5th September 2009, 10:31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO