A4 b7 1.9 tdi 115 performance upgrade

dogbone

Reaction score
Website
www.threearchesgarage.co.uk
Hi

I'm new to the forum so here goes.

I have a 2005 b7 sline avant 1.9 tdi. It's only a 115 so it's painfully underpowered. I've had it mapped, it's better but still not great.

I've had it on a rolling road and its kicking out 143 bhp which is better than I thought but I need more! I don't want a racing car, I just want it to be a bit quicker.

Does anyone know what the best next step is? I would think it's upgrading the turbo but I'm unsure which one to get and what extra bits i need to make it fit.

There's loads of info on modding a b6 115 but not on b7.

I'm willing to spend the money as long as the results are worth it.

Cheers in advance

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I don't mean to put you down in any way possible, but is it really worth modifying a 1.9 115bhp lump except for the remap you've already got? Any more noticeable power out of the engine will cost a LOT of money and you'll never get that back. I would personally suggest buying a newer 2.0 TDI's in either 140 bhp or 170 bhp which are remappable to 200bhp or there abouts for very little money. If you want heaps of torque and nigh on 275bhp then the 3 litre lumps are the way to go.

However, if you insist on keeping your car and tuning it then:

1) Hybrid turbo route
2) Propane injection (easily 40+ bhp once installed and 6-8mpg better plus nigh on 100% efficiency from the combustion process!)
3) Bigger injectors - reboring cylinder

However with all three, you will need a stronger clutch and flywheel (if yours is a manual) and also a more thermal efficient (larger) intercooler that can keep up with cooling the air thats coming through! You'll probably have to deristrict the exhaust to allow the car to breate better and also uprated boost pipes if you go Hybrid.

Its a bottomless pit to be frank...

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I looked at changing the car but ive already spent loads on it. The bodywork is perfect, I've had the wheels powder coated, 4 new tyres, clutch & flywheel and so on. It's proper mint condition and I love everything about it apart from the performance.
There is a bit more of a story behind the map, the 1st time I had it done the car drove amazing with plenty of power but it smoked like hell and when I say smoked, it drowned the car behind every time you booted it. (which is regularly)! It also juddered under heavy load which was the turbo over boosting and allegedly blowing the wastegate open!

I didn't trust the map man so I took it to another map man who was more reputable and he said the map was way too much for the size of the turbo. He remapped again to the suitable map for the car and it doesn't smoke or judder.

My thought is that if I can spend under a grand in getting it to perform well, it's better than changing the car for a similar age that I then need to spend again getting it mint. A mapped 130 bhp is plenty for me. (drove one and was impressed compared to mine)

It's a great spec, sline, leather, Bose, xenons, can't be ***** shopping round to change it!

To make it easier too, I'm a mechanic so if I could just buy an uprated turbo kit (I believe fittings are different between 115 & 130 turbos) I could fit myself and then get the map man to put the silly map on again!

What do you think? Or am I mad?

Cheers

The UKMKIV forum boys sure know their stuff about upgrading/uprating the 1.9 engines featured in the A4/A3/Golfs etc. I shouldn't really do this, but i'd suggest signing up there too and ask.

I do believe you may be able to get a 130 turbo on yours and also 130/pd150 injectors on yours which will make it pretty nippy to say the least once mapped properly!

Anymore and you'd need stronger mechanicals such as clutch.

NB: I completely understand why you want to keep the car. At the end of the day, if your happy with it then do as you please. If the powers lacking, theres always ways to increase it!!!