Advice for an Audi n00b

Daemon

Reaction score
Hi guys new member here (hello)

I'm currently on the lookout for an A4 estate (diesel). I've currently got my sights set on an 06 a4 2.0 tdi avant s-line. It's the 1986cc which afaik is the 140bhp model? and has 55,000 miles on the clock.

This is where you guys come in.. are there any common faults for me to look out for on this car? Service history musts to look out for maybe?

Hope you guys can help, I've been wanting to join the audi crew for a while now!

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your future Audi purchase!

I'm NOT a know it all, but i can help with a few things...

1) The car in question is 5 years old. The waterpump and timing belts should be changed. I would hope for a metal propeller.

2) Check the rear wiper works, as commonly water can seep from the pipe that feeds the rear window onto the motor and fries it!

3) Check for any clattering on start up and with air con off and on. If the car is a manual it could be the dual mass flywheel on its way out though somewhat unlikely as its very low mileage unless the previous owner labours the car around everywhere.

4) I hate low mileage diesels, as diesels are built and designed for hauling weight around and long motorway journies. I wont get into an argument over it now, but check the MOTS to check that the car hasn't been clocked back.
5) Take the car for a very good spirited run. Make sure once the engine is warm it stays at 90 degrees and redline the car in 1,2,3rd gear to check for sticky vanes on the turbo (limp mode if problem). The reason i suggest doing this is 55k on a nearly 6 year old car is approx 9k a year. That suggests to ME that its been used locally around town etc and the odd stint on the motorway perhaps. Diesels create soot and carbon deposits everywhere. Especially on turbos when they are not used! Also check suspension for wear as local driving can have a deprimental effect on shocks, especially if the car is from a city centre etc where road calming measures like humps are used.

6) Good luck! I cant think of any other problems, but with low mileage diesels perhaps EGR valve problems etc in the future, but that can always be cleaned in the name of preventative maintenance.

NB: If the car has two exhausts on the left hand side then its the 140. The 170 bhp models came with twin exit exhausts, one on the left and the other on the right.

Hiya, thanks for your help, I couldn't of wished for a better more informative response! :)

Yep the car is the 140 version going from your description, which I like as I'll bypass this injector issue.
Only trouble that I'm going to come across is that the garage that has the car are very strict on test drives. They literally insist on driving you 2-3 miles up the road and then you drive it back. Though once I'm in the seat I suppose I could push my luck.

With regard to the EGR - I've driven a TDI Disco for a few years so fully expect to have to flush everything out to freshen up the engine. I'm also hoping that somebody can point me to an EGR removal kit....?

Good pointers though and I'll be sure to look out for them!

Hi,

I'm more than happy to help. After all thats the whole point of forums like this.

Heres a link to the EGR blanking plates you asked for: EGR blanking plate 3mm Steel VW SEAT SKODA AUDI T3 T4 T5 R6 Transporter 2off | eBay

If the garage is very strict on test drives, perhaps after your short 2 mile drive, if you like the REST of the vehicle then put a small deposit down and ask for a longer test drive. Afterall its not a bangernomics and its not a cheap sub £1,000 car. They should cater to the customer and if they cant or wont, then don't forget theres plenty more A4's out there!