How much oil does your Tdi 140 use?

clockwork.satan

Vorsprung Durch Yer Maw
Reaction score
I got a little bit of a shock yesterday when the 'Oil Low' light on my 2-week old (to me) car lit up.

I popped it into the dealership I got it from and they were only too happy to top it up, but I have to say that it does worry me slightly as I never once had to put any oil into my last diesel engined car.

Could it be that it had a full oil change/flush before I got it and the oil low light come on due to the new oil coating the surfaces of the engine? I've not noticed any excessive smoking when booting it, so I'm fairly certain that it's not burning oil.

Does this engine need topped up with oil now and then?

Last edited:
I use around 1-2 litres between services 17/18k. It's normal for the 2.0TDi to use oil.

Just check the oil level every couple of weeks.

Count yourself lucky, my car needs 8 litres of oil!!

However yours sounds fine to me mate, im sure its because of your recent flush etc.

I only need to top mine up with 500ml every few months! or after long journeys.

I find it generally lasts a long time in mine

as said its perfectly normal, i used approx 2 litres last year and that was inbetween a major service as well

Cool, that's really put my mind at rest!

Soo... What kind of oil is best for these engines? Am I best to buy it from an Audi garage or is there a good Castrol etc one that I could get from Halfords, etc?