Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
    Reverse Gear

Status

Running rough A4 avant 2.0 TDI B7

Hi,

I posted a couple of weeks ago regarding the potential over filling of my oil, It sounds like it wasn't by much and it shouldn't have caused any problems. The car however is definitely running rough since although this could be a coincidence.

The car starts ok but seems (unless i'm imagining it) to be idling a little faster than it did, it is slightly under powered when driving, acceleration is fine and the turbo seems to kick in ok, its the normal driving that seems rough.

If I am driving along a flat road at a said speed and a hill comes up that doesn't require me changing gear it seems to strain more than it should, almost like I should be changing down a gear, this is happening in a lot of places where it didn't before. if I put my foot down it still accelerates up the hill ok. Also there is more vibration in the car than there was , things rattle that didn't a couple of weeks ago like my loose change and sunglasses.

Having a little look around it sounds a little like that old classic the EGR valve could be causing the problem, does this sound feasible? if not does anyone have any ideas?

also am I correct in assuming you can't get a haynes manual for this model, they don't seem to do a diesel model on there website

Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    Skip the last bit, found one, I was on the American site, Halfords seem to do them online but not in my local store...

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by prs999 View Post
    if not does anyone have any ideas?
    Yes, get it plugged in and read the fault codes, otherwise it's just guesswork...

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi,

I've finally got around to having it plugged in, nothing came up at all on the diagnostic, the following came out of it though.

They think there is a small leak in the gasket at the bottom of the EGR Pipe, it can be heard with a stethoscope and there is a dark residue there which apparently there shouldn't be. could this be causing any problems?

They think the Mass air flow sensor could be on its way out even though it didn't show up on the diagnostic, they said that the engine emissions light should have come on when it was unplugged and it didn't and the it didn't change the idling at all which they think it should. Is this correct, is it worth concentrating on that? I have heard that if you unplug it and it doesn't change the running of the car then its shot?

They also said that the EGR valve was definitely working as it would have shown up on the diagnostic, is this true, I have found other posts that suggest it might not show up if its just clogged up

any input on this would be greatly appreciated

Cheers