would anyone advise me NOT to store my DTM in garage over winter?

chrisa4quat

Reaction score
as above really. thinking of garaging my DTM. could this cause any problems? also anyone any idea who may insure it?

Don't you work at a garage? From your signature, it looks like it.

I do but i didn't know if anyone had any horror stories etc. i can't see it being a problem. Was also after advice on insurance etc. I can't find anyone who will insure it as a garaged car not being used.

You used to be able to get "laid up" insurance on classic cars or restricted mileage policies, not sure if this is still something that can be done, or if it is available on modern cars. Best bet is to ask your current insurer. Would it also not be covered by your garage insurances?
Just a thought.

Dougie

i dont get your op
what problems could it cause ?
unless some lil **** scratches it

Thanks Dougie, i'll ask. I have managed to find insurance for laid up cover. I just have to decide if i want to do it really. This whole thing has come about due to a customer of mine in the forces being away for a few months. Getting his car out of his garage and 10 mins in to driving oil pressure warning light came on. New oil pump etc required. Altho this was a diesel and i know these are common faults.

oh rite those problems
well depends how long you leave it
change oil on bringing it back out
also use a trickle charger like we use on bikes

oh rite those problems
well depends how long you leave it
change oil on bringing it back out
also use a trickle charger like we use on bikes

i'm thinking possibly until feb/march time. maybe even have it off road for a year. First thing i'd do is oil change. I'd also most likely start and run up to temperature every month.

i wouldnt bother running it upto temp while its stood
just make sure you top petrol off
trickle charger you can get them prety cheap
and when its back out oil top ups etc
if your gona store it for a year think about the tryes aswell

Tell me to mind my own business, but why would you want to garage it for a year?? Just out of interest really.

not at all rowdyboy. well i'm picking up a non running a4 b5 to look at, am thinking of running that for a bit. that gives me plenty of time to get my car sorted, bumper off resprayed, xenon lights fitted etc. stage 2 bits fitted blah blah blah. garaged car = saving money. As for the tyres i'll probably wrap them up get car on axle stands.
I am only toying with this idea at the moment, i will garage it for a month or two minimum. Also mrs is learning to drive. 2006 a4 dtm or b5 a4 1.6........hmmmm lol?