Flutter sound...turbo?

mikeyw

Reaction score
I recently replaced the diverter valve for the later D revision. I didn't notice much different, and no difference in sound, which is fine. Unfortunately the clip that holds and secures the connector to the diverter valve is not so good, so I had to secure it by other means.

Then once I fitted a BSR open cone filter system I could hear quite a bit of what I think is turbo flutter. I've since put the standard air box back in with a Pipercross panel filter and the flutter noise is still there but now very quiet and barely noticeable.

Is this flutter caused by air being diverted back towards the air filter? And/or is this f*cking the turbo. Or is the diverter valve not functioning because the connector is broke/loose?

mine makes same noise and so did my mates 1.8t its what thwy call turbo chatter your car will still be doing it now but you wont hear it due to the stock air box and ducting ! I personally like the strange noises our cars make with an intake but suppose its not for every one but it is doing no harm to your engine !

Thanks mate. I've seems people say the same, it's just that others are far more pessimistic.

Had my intake on for over a year never had a problem get it put back on mate! (touch wood!)