Upgrades for the Symphony head unit...?

clockwork.satan

Vorsprung Durch Yer Maw
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just joined the Audi fray last week after buying myself this lovely A4 S-Line TDi beast (pics and stuff in the 'Welcome' section), but I'm already thinking of upgrading the head unit from the (non-Bose) 'Symphony' system that's in it at the moment as it's... Well... It's got a tape deck, for heck's sake. A TAPE DECK! The last audio tape I owned or bought was in the early-mid 90's, heh!

What I want ideally is something that I connect my iPod to, and will possibly have SatNav and Bluetooth connectivity; something to please my gadget appetite. :drool:

I've been having a look around at the various options available. The Audi RNS-E certainly seems like the best of the lot, but I'm worried about taking the dash apart to fit the GPS reciever and I've read some scary stories about cars getting broken into for the unit.

The other options are to get one of the doodads that can give the Symphony unit iPod connectivity through the disc changer interface OR to get an aftermarket system.

Opinions?

i have had the pioneer f930bt fitted for 8ton, sat nav is pants as most units are but dvds, usb/sd connection, bluetooth handsfree is all worth it!!

I'd recommend the RNS-E unit handsdown. Being an Audi anything aftermarket just spoils the look in my opinion, keep it OEM ;)

That's generally the direction in which I'm likely to go - is the RNS-E easy to fit and does it natively support iPods?

Soz for all the questions!

Yeah it is an easy fit, especially since you already have a double DIN. You'll need to buy the RNS-E, a Quadlock Harness (to convert your ISO radio connectors) and a Fakra GPS antenna.

The GPS is an okay job to fit also, just remove the glovebox and feed the GPS through - all of the jobs I've done I've fitted the GPS antenna just on top of the glovebox with double-sided tape.

The RNS-E doesn't support iPods as standard, it comes with SD card slots which is ideal to music on from your computer. But if you were wanting iPod support then the only real option is the Dension kit, there is also the AMI (Audi's iPod kit) but its pretty expensive for what it is.

The cheapest alternative would be the AUX-In, simply 3.5mm jack into any music device with the supported 3.5mm port and it'll play through the car speakers, only down side is that you wont be able to control the music through the radio, you'll have to control the music from the device.

Reactions: clockwork.satan
Yeah it is an easy fit, especially since you already have a double DIN. You'll need to buy the RNS-E, a Quadlock Harness (to convert your ISO radio connectors) and a Fakra GPS antenna.

The GPS is an okay job to fit also, just remove the glovebox and feed the GPS through - all of the jobs I've done I've fitted the GPS antenna just on top of the glovebox with double-sided tape.

The RNS-E doesn't support iPods as standard, it comes with SD card slots which is ideal to music on from your computer. But if you were wanting iPod support then the only real option is the Dension kit, there is also the AMI (Audi's iPod kit) but its pretty expensive for what it is.

The cheapest alternative would be the AUX-In, simply 3.5mm jack into any music device with the supported 3.5mm port and it'll play through the car speakers, only down side is that you wont be able to control the music through the radio, you'll have to control the music from the device.

Awesome! Thanks for the information. I'll prolly get the Dension kit first and then get an RNS-E unit in the next couple of months as they ain't cheap! Ouchie!

What doe RNS-E stand for? (sorry to hijack but am just searching the forum for X Car link details, am looking at getting one to connect to my Symphony HU)

What doe RNS-E stand for?
Radio Navigation System - (version) E

It's the OE sat nav that was fitted to the B7; upgrading from a Symphony II is seamless (but needs adapter leads), upgrading from a Symphony II+ doesn't need any adapters but does stop the radio diversity system working.

I have the symphony with bose head unit but also have the audi sat nav fitted but gives directions on the speedo clocks. Would the RNS-E unit be an easy job to fit. I too want rid of the tape deck but just the sd card would do for my music rather than the ipod compatibility.
Thanks

I have a close friend colleague who can sort this for you in that area, send me a PM with your info & I'll forward onto him for you, he can supply the rns aswell.