TFSI Quattro performance?

dannyboy75

Reaction score
Hi all

I recently bought an 05 A4 TFSI Quattro which overall I'm well pleased with. Considering it's done nearly 110k miles there isn't a single rattle, squeak or misfire to be heard, which is in stark contrast to my last car (Alfa 156 JTS).

I just have one thing bugging me though, which may be nothing at all - but basically it doesn't feel quite as fast as I was expecting for 197bhp. Don't get me wrong, it goes nicely, and feels quicker than the Alfa (which was 165bhp), just not loads quicker.

One example, last week I was behind a BMW 120d (07 reg = 177bhp I think) as we came off a roundabout together and floored it. As we were going from 30-70(ish) I thought I'd have the edge, but it was neck & neck and, if anything, the beemer just nudged its nose in front.

In my mind I guess I was expecting my A4 to go like the old-shape A3 1.8T I used to own, which was remapped to somewhere around 200-210bhp, and had a bonkers amount of torque. But the A3 wasn't AWD, and was presumably quite a bit lighter than an 05 model A4.

So I'm just curious as to what other views are here - am I just being an old woman and not used to the extra weight & drag of quattro, or is there a common fault that can cause slight power loss? I did search through some old threads and read stuff about faulty diverter valves, but wouldn't know how to check if this was the case.

Thanks for any thoughts :)

Dan

Hi all

I recently bought an 05 A4 TFSI Quattro which overall I'm well pleased with. Considering it's done nearly 110k miles there isn't a single rattle, squeak or misfire to be heard, which is in stark contrast to my last car (Alfa 156 JTS).

I just have one thing bugging me though, which may be nothing at all - but basically it doesn't feel quite as fast as I was expecting for 197bhp. Don't get me wrong, it goes nicely, and feels quicker than the Alfa (which was 165bhp), just not loads quicker.

One example, last week I was behind a BMW 120d (07 reg = 177bhp I think) as we came off a roundabout together and floored it. As we were going from 30-70(ish) I thought I'd have the edge, but it was neck & neck and, if anything, the beemer just nudged its nose in front.

In my mind I guess I was expecting my A4 to go like the old-shape A3 1.8T I used to own, which was remapped to somewhere around 200-210bhp, and had a bonkers amount of torque. But the A3 wasn't AWD, and was presumably quite a bit lighter than an 05 model A4.

So I'm just curious as to what other views are here - am I just being an old woman and not used to the extra weight & drag of quattro, or is there a common fault that can cause slight power loss? I did search through some old threads and read stuff about faulty diverter valves, but wouldn't know how to check if this was the case.

Thanks for any thoughts :)

Dan

Do the same test in the rain and you wont see the beamer!:arco:

My advice would be to get your A4 remapped, then you WILL notice a difference.

Besides isn't the 120d the smaller and lighter car?

And only 2wd!!! The Beemer will have loads more torque for in gear acceleration. I think you picked a bad example to compare it against unfortunately.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

The 120d is lighter but 0-60 is 7.6, compared to 7.2 for my A4 so I figured mine had the slightly better power-to-weight, but it didn't seem like it at the time! I know the beemer would whip me in a 5th gear 30-70 test, but through the gears I just thought I'd have the edge on him. Rowdy - I take your point though, probably not the best car to pick for a first comparison.

Dazmo - I'm very tempted to get it remapped, but I had it done on both my previous Audis (which were also high mileage), and both times the extra torque made the clutch start to slip within a few months, which makes me kind of nervous about having it done again.

Reactions: steavant
0-60 is not a good comparison either, your Quattro will get off the line quicker, with the grip. Diesels don't do 0-60 especially well. In gear times are always a more real world comparison, unless you're a traffic light racer.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

The 120d is lighter but 0-60 is 7.6, compared to 7.2 for my A4 so I figured mine had the slightly better power-to-weight, but it didn't seem like it at the time! I know the beemer would whip me in a 5th gear 30-70 test, but through the gears I just thought I'd have the edge on him. Rowdy - I take your point though, probably not the best car to pick for a first comparison.

Dazmo - I'm very tempted to get it remapped, but I had it done on both my previous Audis (which were also high mileage), and both times the extra torque made the clutch start to slip within a few months, which makes me kind of nervous about having it done again.

First thing to check and probably change is your diverter valve which is probably leaking boost as the diaphram has split which is why your down on power....

Check out this thread http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b7-chassis/124077-slugglish-a4-2-0-turbo.html

Last edited:
Reactions: psd99
Interesting.....thanks for the DV info Scott.

I'm convinced I'm not getting all 197 horses as there feels like some boost up to about 2.5-3k rpm, then it just falls away (presumably as revs & boost pressure rise, that's when the valve starts to leak).

I'm gonna check, but I have a feeling the warranty that came with the car won't cover anything turbo-related, so I'll probably end up having to sort it myself.

Guess I should get my fault codes checked before I splash out £50 on a DV, just to be sure. If it does turn out to be that, is the DV easy to replace for an idiot like me, or would I be better off asking the local garage?

cheers
Dan

I have exactly the same car as you (2.0TFSI Quattro). A remap is definitely the way to go - it does make a BIG difference in acceleration. I beat most cars off the lights, and, as someone above pointed out, it's awesome in the wet off the mark.

Rather than taking the car to someone I bought a box that you connect and upload the maps to the car. That way I can put the original map back on the car when it goes for a service. And it shows you any fault codes.

DV is easy to do. I did mine and I've never really fiddled with cars before. It's a bit tricky to get to, but not too much of a challenge.
I would just change it anyway, even if you don't see any fault codes.

I agree with the others.

The 120d is up 60Nm on you and only 20kW down.
If it's been remapped, it could also be putting out 140kw and loads more torque.

The quattro also saps quite a bit of you power too.

Get a remap and you'll be laughing

Rather than taking the car to someone I bought a box that you connect and upload the maps to the car. That way I can put the original map back on the car when it goes for a service. And it shows you any fault codes.

DV is easy to do. I did mine and I've never really fiddled with cars before. It's a bit tricky to get to, but not too much of a challenge.
I would just change it anyway, even if you don't see any fault codes.

That sounds cool, I like the idea of being able to revert to the stock map if my clutch starts to give out/selling car etc. Where do you get them from out of interest?

Good to know on the DV - thanks. I'm getting the codes checked tomorrow as there's a garage just down the road whose PC I fixed a few months back, so he owes me a favour :)

you wont always get a code if the DV is shot

you wont always get a code if the DV is shot

+1, no codes normally show when DV is split.

I would do the DV before any remap. My car is mapped it goes like a train, but the first thing I did when I had it done was install the Rev D valve...

Cheers guys. Cancelled the diag tomorrow and just ordered a DV from ebay. For £50 it's gotta be worth a punt and, if it makes no difference, there'll be a nearly-new DV for sale here next week for a bit under £50 ;)

I test drove a 120d coupe. Very nippy thing. Also quiet, and when I looked at the trip computer, I was getting 50mpg! Good car.

I got the remap box from a group buy from one of the Audi forums. The company mobileecuremapping and the tool is Alientech Powergate | Mobile Ecu Remaping

There are probably lots of other companies doing the same thing.

I know there are pros and cons of doing it this way, but it suits my needs and gives me flexibility in the future when I change the car.

I test drove a 120d coupe. Very nippy thing. Also quiet, and when I looked at the trip computer, I was getting 50mpg! Good car.

Funnily enough I also had one for a couple of weeks recently (as a courtesy car when my 156 was written off).

It did go nicely, although beaucoup torque + auto gearbox gave me a couple of brown trouser moments in the wet, particularly when it kicked down in the middle of roundabouts :ohmy:

Well the DV arrived yesterday, so I got it fitted this morning and............holy crap, I can't believe the difference!

It actually feels like a 200bhp car now. Compared to what it was like before, I reckon it was at least 30bhp down with the knackered DV.

Thanks again for all the advice guys :sm4:

when mine was standard and the DV gone
it was run up on the RR made 126hp