2.0 TDi 170 estate 2007 - MPG query

Moby Dick

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've now had the car a month following my changing from an A3 with the same engine but in 140 spec.

I have had the car re-mapped to arround 200 bhp which has given me a much more refined linear response to acceleration but fuel consumption is about the same at on average 35 - 40 mpg. My A3 average 50 MPG however I drove it. I drive quite carefully until the demon gets the better of me.......

Am curious about long term consumption and ask the question to long term owners what they get their motors to return and how much out of a full tank.

Am sure it is a many discussed item and apologise for boring anyone...

Many thanks.....

I've put about 5000 miles on my 170 quattro avant and averaged near as dammit 40 mpg (measured brim to brim) for that distance. Pretty happy with that. The quattro's 63l tank gets me around 550 miles, give or take 20 miles or so.

The 17O's fuel consumption does seem to vary a fair bit according to use. I get about 36mpg pottering around town, but did a 150 mile motorway run today and achieved 46mpg. On my car the DIS seems pretty accurate.

The 170 isn't a particularly frugal car, but I don't think it was ever intended to be.

Last edited:
I've got the same engine with remap on my saloon quattro.

No motorways round here.....

Best tank I ever achieved was 581 miles at 42.8 mpg - and that was driving like miss daisy.

I average between 34 and 38 depending on the mood!

Cheers, it seems therefore that there is a huge hike from the 140 model which was excellent in both my Golf and the A3. But need the capacity and weight to be towing a caravan so have to live with it. My A3 used to get 500 out of a tank if driving like a fairy but normally get about 475. But a much larger tank on the A4, the pump told my wallet that!

Not gonna let it spoil my fun though.........

Don't forget that the Avant is a lot heavier than a A3.
What map did you have and are you still on the original clutch. Considering mapping my 140, perhaps not to 200bhp though.

Mine's 170 Special Edition quattro and it consistantly returns 37 mpg although I once noticed 44 mpg over a 250 mile run (must have had a following wind I think. In contrast, I can get my 3.0 TDI 240 A6 allroad to achieve 40 mpg over the same journey, and 39 mpg with the offroad tyres - not bad!

Don't forget that the Avant is a lot heavier than a A3.
What map did you have and are you still on the original clutch. Considering mapping my 140, perhaps not to 200bhp though.

Agree the Avant is much heavier and yes it is on the original clutch and remap was a generic remap which did iron out the acceleration to a far more linear one and smoother tickover. I would not consider taking a 140 to 200 BHP the best of ideas, great fun though till it went BANG. Mine was 170 to start so a similar increase really.

I am still in two minds whether to keep it as it is a lovely car other wise but we shall see...............

Thanks for the input folks, realise I am not alone in plight. Still surprising Audi make such an inefficient engine in todays climate.

Anyone had done De-DPF with remap from jbs? They claim that you can get up to 15mpg more and 220-240bhp