Changing MFSW to DSG MFSW Help Please!!

Dannykn9

"Cruise My Ride"
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi All,

Need a bit of help, well advice really.
Tonight I did a cruise fitting for this guy from Bristol, and he asked me, if I can retrofit his MFSW to a DSG MFSW. Changing the wheel and fitting is no poroblem what so ever, but what I need to know, is it just a case again of coding the steering module, like the cruise to tell it that it has a tiptronic wheel? And he should then be able to change gears up and down using the paddles?
His motor is an A4 2.0TDI S-line B7 2008 Automatic.
Although I have done many many cruise installs, I have never done the DSG upgrade.

All help and advice is welcome, thanking you all in advance.

Cheers

Danny

Well if his car is a manual gearbox then no, the paddles won't work no matter how much coding you do. It has to be a car with S-tronic (DSG) transmission for that to work, and if that was the case, he would have had a DSG MFSW to start with.

You say he has a normal MFSW already, in that case it would be a straight swap without coding, but the paddles would be ornaments. The '+' and '-' signs will light up when you put the lights on though ;)

No B7 has S-tronic.
They onlly have tiptronic and multitronic.
I'm in the same boat having a MFSW in my car and I've just ordered a s-line MFSW with paddles.
I would also think it's a straight swap with no coding.
I don't recall seeing anything in when I've been exploring VCDS before.
Guess I'll only find out when the wheel arrives, or someone on here can give a definative answer.

It is a straight swap with no coding cos I've just done it. No paddles before, now got paddles. They obviously serve no purpose but it doesn't bother me.

Right guys, so basically, swapping the wheel over is not a problem, but what your saying is the paddle shifts will not work to change gears, even though he has the automatic gearbox and not manual?
Also there is a coding under steering module 16 that you have to change to tell the module you have a tiptronic wheel. Seen this many a times when coding for cruise.

I am all a bit confused at the moment lads.

No, you can definately install a paddle wheel into an auto B7 and the paddles WILL work.

Just need to VAG the car to tell it paddles are installed and your away.

No, you can definately install a paddle wheel into an auto B7 and the paddles WILL work.

Just need to VAG the car to tell it paddles are installed and your away.

Thanks for that fella, I was worried that if I travelled all that way to him to install the wheel then found out the paddles would only light up and nothing more. It would be pointless having a paddleshift wheel without the proper use!

Thanks again fella, appreciate it.

yep they can be coded to work
pop over to the zine and fine a how to on there
quite a few have done it

Since I've now done this, I can say the coding is a dawdle.
Go into the Steering wheel module and then to coding.
Third digit to the right (+1 Tiptronic), just add one, and save.

Ah, you didn't say he had an auto box to start with. I just assumed it was manual.

I have a DSG streering wheel on my manual car. Purely because I had the chance of a B8 steering wheel at a good price so snapped it up quick. Does it really matter that it has the paddles on that serve no purpose? No not really and it doesn't bother me in the slightest that they're there. I could remove the paddles but I can't be *****, plus if I put the car back to standard, and sell the wheel, it has another string to its bow in that its got the paddles. So in answer to your question "Why would anyone with a manual gearbox want to fit paddles switches" my answer is, "Does it really matter?"

let me get this right.......i have a Mulitronic with a standard, non mfsw

and i could upgrade to a mfsw with DSG/Tiptronic paddles and be able to get the paddles working with my multitronic gearbox ?

jdp1962 you have just made my day :yahoo:

what would be needed in order do this ? (apart from the DSG MFSW)

i have a 1.8T 2002

I've got a multifunction s line steering wheel with paddles and am after one without paddles, anybody interested in a swap with a little cash on top ??

(Facelift square airbag)

HI Krumz
I might be interested, but what colour is your wheel? and does it have the S-line logo? Its just I have a MFSW in grey and No Logo, although its on a s-line A7 Avant!?!
Let me know,
Sam
P.S I can't pm tell I've posted a few more times!

HI Krumz
I might be interested, but what colour is your wheel? and does it have the S-line logo? Its just I have a MFSW in grey and No Logo, although its on a s-line A7 Avant!?!
Let me know,
Sam
P.S I can't pm tell I've posted a few more times!

Hi Sam,

Mine is a black one with an s line badge, I am after the same but without the paddles... Sorry

No probs Krumz
I'm finding that getting a MFSW with paddles in grey for sensible money, is about as likely as finding a unicorn! :)
But if you've got any cash laying about and want an upgrade, i found this on one of my little missions round the auction sites!
Honestly don't know if the airbags a straight swap, but others here might!
And I'm sure your aware you'll get your money back (plus a bit) when you flog yours,
Cheers
Sam

Just read this guys, good news for me as mine is auto with a mfsw, had alook on ebay though and there are a few dsg mfsw's but non of them show the paddles in the pics???

How much am i looking at to buy the wheel do we think and is the wheel with paddles all i need? dont suppose i could just get the paddles and a steering cowl?

Thanks.

no cant just fit paddles as there on the wheel

Yeah i went back on the bay and realised that, cheers!