Sky InsuranceJMB Retrofits
    "Cruise My Ride"

Status

Changing MFSW to DSG MFSW Help Please!!

Hi All,

Need a bit of help, well advice really.
    Tonight I did a cruise fitting for this guy from Bristol, and he asked me, if I can retrofit his MFSW to a DSG MFSW. Changing the wheel and fitting is no poroblem what so ever, but what I need to know, is it just a case again of coding the steering module, like the cruise to tell it that it has a tiptronic wheel? And he should then be able to change gears up and down using the paddles?
    His motor is an A4 2.0TDI S-line B7 2008 Automatic.
    Although I have done many many cruise installs, I have never done the DSG upgrade.

All help and advice is welcome, thanking you all in advance.

Cheers

Danny
    VCDS Owner-North London/Enfield
    " To Cruise Is What I Do"

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Well if his car is a manual gearbox then no, the paddles won't work no matter how much coding you do. It has to be a car with S-tronic (DSG) transmission for that to work, and if that was the case, he would have had a DSG MFSW to start with.

You say he has a normal MFSW already, in that case it would be a straight swap without coding, but the paddles would be ornaments. The '+' and '-' signs will light up when you put the lights on though
    2012 RNSe Navigation Discs with unit software update. PM me.

Suzuki GSX-R 750 K5

A4 S-Line. Mods so far; Cruise, DIS, Mk2 RNS-e, Audi 6 CD changer, XcarLink with self manufactured permanent ipod dock, B8 MFSW, Dectane Dayline Headlights with independantly switched DRL's, RS4 Rear ARB, De-badged, RS4 pedals, HIDS, RS4 front grille and RS4 style fog surrounds, LCR splitter in Satin Black, Rear Park Assist, LED gearknob, Red footwell lighting, Kitchen sink and Shower cubicle.

1st Gear

Status
    No B7 has S-tronic.
    They onlly have tiptronic and multitronic.
    I'm in the same boat having a MFSW in my car and I've just ordered a s-line MFSW with paddles.
    I would also think it's a straight swap with no coding.
    I don't recall seeing anything in when I've been exploring VCDS before.
    Guess I'll only find out when the wheel arrives, or someone on here can give a definative answer.
    | 2009 A4 3.0TDI quattro tip | Ice Silver | 19" OEM RS4 style wheels | PDC | Sunroof | Black Leather | Symphony Radio | Aftermarket Navigation & DVD | RS4 mesh grille | Custom mesh fog grilles |

5th Gear

Status
    It is a straight swap with no coding cos I've just done it. No paddles before, now got paddles. They obviously serve no purpose but it doesn't bother me.

Suzuki GSX-R 750 K5

A4 S-Line. Mods so far; Cruise, DIS, Mk2 RNS-e, Audi 6 CD changer, XcarLink with self manufactured permanent ipod dock, B8 MFSW, Dectane Dayline Headlights with independantly switched DRL's, RS4 Rear ARB, De-badged, RS4 pedals, HIDS, RS4 front grille and RS4 style fog surrounds, LCR splitter in Satin Black, Rear Park Assist, LED gearknob, Red footwell lighting, Kitchen sink and Shower cubicle.

"Cruise My Ride"

Status
    Right guys, so basically, swapping the wheel over is not a problem, but what your saying is the paddle shifts will not work to change gears, even though he has the automatic gearbox and not manual?
    Also there is a coding under steering module 16 that you have to change to tell the module you have a tiptronic wheel. Seen this many a times when coding for cruise.

I am all a bit confused at the moment lads.

Avantageous

Status
    No, you can definately install a paddle wheel into an auto B7 and the paddles WILL work.

Just need to VAG the car to tell it paddles are installed and your away.

"Cruise My Ride"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFurlong View Post
    No, you can definately install a paddle wheel into an auto B7 and the paddles WILL work.

Just need to VAG the car to tell it paddles are installed and your away.
    Thanks for that fella, I was worried that if I travelled all that way to him to install the wheel then found out the paddles would only light up and nothing more. It would be pointless having a paddleshift wheel without the proper use!

Thanks again fella, appreciate it.

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    yep they can be coded to work
    pop over to the zine and fine a how to on there
    quite a few have done it

1st Gear

Status
    Since I've now done this, I can say the coding is a dawdle.
    Go into the Steering wheel module and then to coding.
    Third digit to the right (+1 Tiptronic), just add one, and save.
    | 2009 A4 3.0TDI quattro tip | Ice Silver | 19" OEM RS4 style wheels | PDC | Sunroof | Black Leather | Symphony Radio | Aftermarket Navigation & DVD | RS4 mesh grille | Custom mesh fog grilles |

5th Gear

Status
    Ah, you didn't say he had an auto box to start with. I just assumed it was manual.

Suzuki GSX-R 750 K5

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gary3306 View Post
    Ah, you didn't say he had an auto box to start with. I just assumed it was manual.
    Why would anyone with a manual gearbox want to fit paddle switches?
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962 View Post
    Why would anyone with a manual gearbox want to fit paddle switches?
    I'm sure Gary could tell you

5th Gear

Status
    I have a DSG streering wheel on my manual car. Purely because I had the chance of a B8 steering wheel at a good price so snapped it up quick. Does it really matter that it has the paddles on that serve no purpose? No not really and it doesn't bother me in the slightest that they're there. I could remove the paddles but I can't be arsed, plus if I put the car back to standard, and sell the wheel, it has another string to its bow in that its got the paddles. So in answer to your question "Why would anyone with a manual gearbox want to fit paddles switches" my answer is, "Does it really matter?"

Suzuki GSX-R 750 K5

1st Gear

Status
    let me get this right.......i have a Mulitronic with a standard, non mfsw

and i could upgrade to a mfsw with DSG/Tiptronic paddles and be able to get the paddles working with my multitronic gearbox ?
    1.8t Multitronic 2002

RNS-E - Xenons - Full Leather - Cruise - DIS - Interior Light Pack - Ambient Lighting - RS4 ARB - 19" Hartman MTM Reps

Ready to be installed: S Line front spoiler - S4 Rear Bumper - Eibach Sportline Springs

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LandSpeed View Post
    let me get this right.......i have a Mulitronic with a standard, non mfsw

and i could upgrade to a mfsw with DSG/Tiptronic paddles and be able to get the paddles working with my multitronic gearbox ?
    Yes.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

1st Gear

Status
    jdp1962 you have just made my day

what would be needed in order do this ? (apart from the DSG MFSW)

i have a 1.8T 2002
    1.8t Multitronic 2002

RNS-E - Xenons - Full Leather - Cruise - DIS - Interior Light Pack - Ambient Lighting - RS4 ARB - 19" Hartman MTM Reps

Ready to be installed: S Line front spoiler - S4 Rear Bumper - Eibach Sportline Springs

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LandSpeed View Post
    jdp1962 you have just made my day

what would be needed in order do this ? (apart from the DSG MFSW)

i have a 1.8T 2002
    Rather a lot of money, if this is anything to go by.

1st Gear

Status
    thanks jdp1962
    1.8t Multitronic 2002

2nd Gear

Status
    Leicester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    I've got a multifunction s line steering wheel with paddles and am after one without paddles, anybody interested in a swap with a little cash on top ??

(Facelift square airbag)

Neutral

Status
    Northampton/London and sometimes Bucharest
    Quote Originally Posted by Krumz View Post
    I've got a multifunction s line steering wheel with paddles and am after one without paddles, anybody interested in a swap with a little cash on top ??

(Facelift square airbag)
    HI Krumz
    I might be interested, but what colour is your wheel? and does it have the S-line logo? Its just I have a MFSW in grey and No Logo, although its on a s-line A7 Avant!?!
    Let me know,
    Sam
    P.S I can't pm tell I've posted a few more times!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rowdy_in_da_audi View Post
    HI Krumz
    I might be interested, but what colour is your wheel? and does it have the S-line logo? Its just I have a MFSW in grey and No Logo, although its on a s-line A7 Avant!?!
    Let me know,
    Sam
    P.S I can't pm tell I've posted a few more times!
    Hi Sam,

Mine is a black one with an s line badge, I am after the same but without the paddles... Sorry

Neutral

Status
    Northampton/London and sometimes Bucharest
    No probs Krumz
    I'm finding that getting a MFSW with paddles in grey for sensible money, is about as likely as finding a unicorn!
    But if you've got any cash laying about and want an upgrade, i found this on one of my little missions round the auction sites!
    Honestly don't know if the airbags a straight swap, but others here might!
    And I'm sure your aware you'll get your money back (plus a bit) when you flog yours,
    Cheers
    Sam

5th Gear

Status
    Just read this guys, good news for me as mine is auto with a mfsw, had alook on ebay though and there are a few dsg mfsw's but non of them show the paddles in the pics???

How much am i looking at to buy the wheel do we think and is the wheel with paddles all i need? dont suppose i could just get the paddles and a steering cowl?

Thanks.
    Mafia black 2007 A4 S-line 2.0Tdi - RNSE - Bluetooth - MFSW - GSM phone prep - Privacy glass all round - Cupra R splitter - Black Grill, surround and fog surrounds - 12" sub and 1200 watt JBL Amp - AP Coilovers - 19" RS6 Alloys - 6mm f & 15mm r spacers - Carbon wrapped interior - Blue LED dials - Ambient Lighting - Cruise Control - HID's - LED side lights - mapped to 185bhp / 380nm - Twin exit exhaust - RS6 style DRLs

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    no cant just fit paddles as there on the wheel

5th Gear

Status
    Yeah i went back on the bay and realised that, cheers!
    Mafia black 2007 A4 S-line 2.0Tdi - RNSE - Bluetooth - MFSW - GSM phone prep - Privacy glass all round - Cupra R splitter - Black Grill, surround and fog surrounds - 12" sub and 1200 watt JBL Amp - AP Coilovers - 19" RS6 Alloys - 6mm f & 15mm r spacers - Carbon wrapped interior - Blue LED dials - Ambient Lighting - Cruise Control - HID's - LED side lights - mapped to 185bhp / 380nm - Twin exit exhaust - RS6 style DRLs

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    no cant just fit paddles as there on the wheel
    I wish I could remove the paddles ! It would stop me trying to play NFS while on the motorway with a manual gearbox !