Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
    4th Gear

Status

car damaged at hospital car park, can anything be done?

as above really. some inconsiderate p^^ck has damaged my car and i am just wondering if i can get anywhere with it?

2. # ADS
    ADS

North East Forum Moderator

Status
    Only if you have proof (Witnesses/CCTV etc) or the third party admitting to the damage.

Being a hospital car park there should be CCTV covering the grounds, get to the reception and ask for access to the CCTV footage and get the car in question and inform the Police.
    Audi A3 2.0TFSI S Line SE DSG

JMB Retrofits - North East Retrofit Company

6th Gear

Status
    There will be the usual signs saying parked at your own risk, ask them for CCTV and see if you can get a reg number.

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    you will be very lucky to get any footage from cctv
    i manage various systems for NHS etc etc and no way will they pull anything from them its the data act
    might get lucky with a security gaurd if u ask nice

6th Gear

Status
    I do medical devices for the NHS & patient data is one thing however a car registration is complete different. The problem you have is even if you know the registration you won't get a name or address, that would be down to the police.

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by B5NUT View Post
    I do medical devices for the NHS & patient data is one thing however a car registration is complete different. The problem you have is even if you know the registration you won't get a name or address, that would be down to the police.
    as above i manage most of yorkshires nhs cctv systems and i can not give any footage nor a reg unless the police ask for it or its put in writeing to headoffice and then its never allowd

Reverse Gear

Status
    My car was damaged at work (I work at hospital) in staff car park covered by CCTV. Spoke to security who said they would check tapes and advised me to report to police as if they found anything would not tell me but could tell police. Nothing found on tapes (if they checked) so never got any further. Had to attend local police station and produce all my documents to report it!

Neutral

Status
    Why the hell put cameras in then??... find this stupid if they are not used to help people.

2nd Gear

Status
    There's definitely a whole bunch of inconsiderate idiots out there. We had to fork out for damage at the rear of our Avant recently from the local CO-OP car park. No CCTV. Person probably didn't even realise our car was part of their turning circle :-(
    Last edited by phil_w; 30th September 2011 at 09:04. Reason: Spelling
    Work: A3 Sportback Black Edition 2.0TDI Home: A4 Avant 2.0 TDI Quattro S-Line

Neutral

Status
    Due to Hospital car parks being so full, the problem is people will try and park in gaps they wouldn't normally do. Unfortunately it will be very hard to do anything about it. I know how you feel. Car used to be "ding" free.

4th Gear

Status
    Police contacted, awaiting to be contacted. i know nothing will happen but atleast i tried!

Neutral

Status
    The data protection act covers people viewed on the footage to be able to get access to it as well under the freedom of information act and that includes hospitals. You'd have to go straight to the top to request though and it might be easier with a solicitor on your side

CCTV in your community and how to request footage : Directgov - Home and community

Data protection and identity theft : Directgov - Government, citizens and rights

Freedom of information : Directgov - Government, citizens and rights

Dont be fobbed off with only the police can access it. Any CCTV footage with your image on it can be requested but only the footage with you in it. All regs and other people would be edited out. I dont think this covers your car either as its an object thats why the police must be involved. In this case they would have to because you weren't in the footage when it happened. They can't give out car regs except to the police etc, etc.

Even if there is footage then you might find it hard to prosecute the other driver. Parking mishaps might not be too noticeable due to low speed and even then they'd just say any damage was already there. Grainy CCTV footage wont help either.

Good luck. I hope you get justice.