Steering: Wondering, lack of feel and precision.....any ideas

DJM1982

Reaction score
As title suggests, the steering on my A4 has becoming odd laterly.
The only way i can describe it is that there seems to be a lack of feel and precision when turning in and around tight roundabouts it feels like the front wheels are sliding much like when you have a puncture or flat tire (although my tire pressures are fine). It feels light and unstable at high speed and seems to wonder also.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? I have it booked into my local garage first week in October, but wanted anyones ideas on this so i can start pricing up the damage.

Cheers for the help,
A less than confident A4 driver right now

99% sure it will be your tires , my front dunlops are shot on my a4 with the same symptoms as yours . Got a pair of vredesteins waiting to be fitted.

what tires you running are the fronts the same brand have you checked pressures .

edit- just read you've already checked pressures , just a note the side walls on mine have perished making them weak and to flexible giving that flat tire feel.

Last edited:
i'm running Uniroyal Rainsport 2's. I have check the pressure and the side walls and all look fine to the eye, they still have around 8-9mm of tread.
Was wondering if there were any suspension parts that could be causing it?

DJM1982:1374371 said:
i'm running Uniroyal Rainsport 2's. I have check the pressure and the side walls and all look fine to the eye, they still have around 8-9mm of tread.
Was wondering if there were any suspension parts that could be causing it?

If your sure the tires are fine next check ball joints , bearings ect .

Had symptoms like this on the Mrs.' C-Max. Rotate the tyres (fronts on the back and vice versa). If it's the tyres then you'll notice the difference.

obvious one have you checked the wheel nuts .......It has happened before.

yep, all obvious check done. Tire pressures, tread level, wheel nuts.

have done what has been suggested today and changed the wheels/tires around, has a small improvement but not much. Any other ideas??

Have you checked the springs front and back, also the shocks for any sign of leakage.

Whilst the wheels were off i gave the wheel arches etc a wash and wipe down and didn't notice any leaks, but thats not to say there isn't any. I have it booked in at my local garage for 3 days, so he can look over all suspension, arms, bushes, ball joints etc. So hopefully he will be able to find the problem.