what could this be?

CHEZ

moderately amusing
Supporter
Reaction score
hi chaps, got a slight problem with my a4 avant s line 140 tdi,
returning home yesterday from shopping on a dual carriageway, my turbo gave up and went into limp mode.
i pulled over and turned car off, thinking it could be the veins sticking as i have had this problem before and this normally cured it, but no, it didnt.
i popped the bonnet and couldnt see anything wrong from above (was raining at the time so couldnt crawl under car), so had to limp back a mile home with the car kangarooing at first but really flat with a horrible wurring sound instead of a turbo whistle!
anyways, i let the car cool down and waited for the rain to let before going out and having a look.
car starts normal, and when you rev it the turbo kicks in but makes more of a woosh noise than before and generally the whole engine note is louder, sort of like a blown exhaust but not as bad.
the turbo unit was replaced 2 months ago for a brand new one with new oil feed pipes etc also and has only done about 1500 miles since.
i am guessing, or rather hoping its just an intercooler hose damaged, but because i have no ramps or lift access or vagcom for that matter i was hoping some of you lads could advise on what to check first and what the problem could possibly be from what i have described if possible!
thanks in advance, michael

I've got vcds & also in county durham if that's any help. I had a fault with my 140 which turned out to be the egr valve, sound simlar to you fault!

Last edited:
thats quality mate!
what were your symptoms for this and what did you replace and how much!
i was quietly hoping on a blown hose because of cost and easyness, bearing in mind all the hoses have been moved previously tbh!
were in county durham are you from? i am at peterlee!

right chaps, this is what we found when b5nut kindly came over with his vcds,
we discovered car would rev ok stationary, but as soon as you tried to pull away would belch thick black smoke out, and would kangaroo!
we decided to try and unplug the MAF as it had thrown up a code, and car would pull away smoothly with no smoke but with very little to none turbo boost and with a strange metallic turbo noise evident,
which makes me think the turbo is ******** again and there is definately a fuelling issue, prob down to the turbo but i dont know!
any help would be appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 01: Engine Labels: 03G-906-016-BLB.clb
Control Module Part Number: 03G 906 016 GN HW: 028 101 211 3
Component and/or Version: R4 2,0L EDC 0000SG 9618
Software Coding: 0000072
Work Shop Code: WSC 00779 210 83394
VCID: 75E519D562DB
6 Faults Found:
17055 - Cylinder 1 Glow Plug Circuit (Q10): Electrical Fault
P0671 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 882 /min
Torque: 40.0 Nm
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 14.21 V
Bin. Bits: 11000100
Temperature: 16.2°C
Bin. Bits: 10110000
17056 - Cylinder 2 Glow Plug Circuit (Q11): Electrical Fault
P0672 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
17057 - Cylinder 3 Glow Plug Circuit (Q12): Electrical Fault
P0673 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
17058 - Cylinder 4 Glow Plug Circuit (Q13): Electrical Fault
P0674 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
16683 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Control Range Not Reached
P0299 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2163 /min
Torque: 114.0 Nm
Speed: 109.0 km/h
Load: 32.5 %
Bin. Bits: 11000000
Absolute Pres.: 1540.2 mbar
Absolute Pres.: 958.8 mbar
16485 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Implausible Signal
P0101 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2184 /min
Torque: 0.0 Nm
Speed: 89.0 km/h
Temperature: 18.0°C
Mass Flow: 79.64 g/s
(no units): 0.46
Temperature: 83.7°C

Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

Sorry I could not have helped any further, should add none of the above fault codes reappeared after being cleared. Also this is a BLB engine, so wonder if this could have an oil pressure issue, as is does sound like a turbo fault.

just been on uk audis and the lads there think its definately a boost issue and suggest checking all pipes as a boost issue can throw up a maf code!
its all the others i am worried about!
hope a hoist on the ramp does in fact discover a dodgey hose as this is doin my head in!

That metallic noise does not sound like a boost fault, hope I wrong. Have you called the AA yet?

got this answer off a lad on other forum, kind of makes logic!
i explained it ran ok with the MAF unplugged he replied......................

""That's because with the maf plugged in the ecu sees how much air is being drawn in through the intake (via the maf) and tries to fuel the engine with the correct fuel volume it thinks is being used. But if the boost hose is off or split then that air isn't making it into the engine. Hence the clouds of black smoke due to overfuelling.
With the maf unplugged the ecu sees no air volume at all, so defaults to a "best guess" mapping scenario where it fuels the engine based on the other factors it can see, such as engine speed and manifold pressure. So it'll run smoothly with the maf disconnected, simply because it can't use the data the maf usually supplies.""

just hoping on finding a missing or damaged air pipe now...................................

well people all sorted!
it turns out one silly jubilee clip caused all of the above!
it had not been tighened properly onto a large diameter intercooler pipe underneath the car and the hose had detached completely!
all sorted and the car is good as new again! no stange noises or soot or anything!
thanks again b5nut for all your help!
will probably see you again in the future when i find a wiper stalk!

well people all sorted!
it turns out one silly jubilee clip caused all of the above!
it had not been tighened properly onto a large diameter intercooler pipe underneath the car and the hose had detached completely!
all sorted and the car is good as new again! no stange noises or soot or anything!
thanks again b5nut for all your help!
will probably see you again in the future when i find a wiper stalk!

What wiper stalk are you after?

One with dis for an Avant.

Chezney glad you got it sorted.