2006 3.0 TDI - Smallest wheel that'll fit?

Tabsy

Reaction score
After some winter wheels for my 3.0 TDI Avant - I understand the 3.0 TDI has the same larger brake calipers as fitted to the R32 etc. but uses 312mm discs.

Are there any 16" wheels that will fit over these or am I limited to only certain 17" & 18" wheels?

Thanks.

My 3.0 TDI Quattro has 321mm discs not 312mm

To be honest my 18" only seem to fit over the calipers so i think 17" would be pushing it!

Funny you should mention it though as i have just bought winter wheels and tyres for my partners car as they are too expensive for the Audi, i do find that if you have new tyres on with full tread (Vredestein ultra sessantas) they are amazing in the winter.

Last edited:
I have 17" wheels on mine, and they fit fine. But there is not a lot of clearance, so I would say there is no chance that 16s will fit.

I have a set of 16s fitted with winter tyres for my 2005 3.0TDi. They will fit as long as you get standard Audi 16" alloys for A4 with the correct offset.

Sorry that was a typo, meant to write 321. Too many years dicking about with Golfs I'm afraid.

Ok, so what 17's have you got jdp1962? I'm keen to avoid buying the wrong wheels here.....

16's would have been great but I've yet to see a B7 3.0 TDI with them fitted!

Sorry that was a typo, meant to write 321. Too many years dicking about with Golfs I'm afraid.

Ok, so what 17's have you got jdp1962? I'm keen to avoid buying the wrong wheels here.....

I have two different sets; the 16-spoke OEMs that were on the car from new, and a set of RS6 replicas that I bought about 18 months ago. Both are 17", but the RS6 reps are 8J whereas the OEMS are 7.5J. I think they both have same offset (ET45), but without checking, I'm not 100% certain. The RS6 reps are very very close to the calipers, but not close enough to be a problem.

Here they are:

OEMs

P1000281.jpg

RS6 reps:

10012011003.jpg

I know I'm in the minority, but I like 17" rims on an A4, especially when it is an SE, with standard ride-height.

Thanks Jeff - much appreciated. It gives me something to aim at on eBay.

I've no issues either running 17's, hell the tyres cost less and the grip levels are marginally less enough not to be noticed under normal driving conditions.

Right, let the hunt begin....

You won't find one because 3.0TDis were never supplied new with 16" wheels as standard. You'd need to source the wheels separately. Ebay will be a good bet.

And as such the minefield opens up. Will stick with 17's, using the two options Jeff posted above as a guide point :thumbsup:

And as such the minefield opens up. Will stick with 17's, using the two options Jeff posted above as a guide point :thumbsup:

I'd be interested to know what winter tyres you eventually get, and how much you pay for them.

Will keep you updated.

In the past I've run Pirelli Snow Sports on a B5.5 Passat with very good results. Would happily run them again given the choice.

Others I know run Vredestein Wintracs and Nokian WR's (latter of which was on a 330D and last winters snow flurry didn't hamper it one bit)

Quick question, will B6 five spoke (8E0 601 025 E) such as these fit the B7?

aly58749u-250x250.jpg

CHeers - Plenty of those knocking about on eBay so I'll give it a crack.