Chris NottSky Insurance
    Neutral

Status

air-con smells of cat pee

There is a urine like smell that is coming out of the vents when the car is first turned on. but then goes after a while. any ideas?

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by alfie155 View Post
    There is a urine like smell that is coming out of the vents when the car is first turned on. but then goes after a while. any ideas?
    When did you last have it on?

Get yourself an AirCon cherry bomb off ebay that will probably sort it!

Maritus Blue Audi A4 3.0 V6 S-Line TDi 275bhp, 585nm Torque

Neutral

Status
    Halfords sell Aircon cleaners, my Aircon in the LCR used to do this, i think the aerosol cleaner was about £20 but worth every penny IMO.
    Mk1 Cupra R Hybrid with goodies @ 318bhp & 314lb/ft and only 2WD

2nd Gear

Status
    Or maybe just changing your pollen filet will help. £10 from GSF and not a single tool needed to do the job!
    2.0 TDI S line.

Cruise, Leather, DIS, RNS-E, autodim, MFSW, ambient lights, Bi xenons.

Gone to its new home

Reverse Gear

Status
    Mine does this from time to time. All you need to do is turn the heat right up and run it for as long as possible on full heat (at least 10 minutes) once this is done you will notice a major improvement (The smell WILL come back so this is a temporary option).

1st Gear

Status
    Mine does this too. but if I turn off the air con about 5 mins before the end of my journey, it doesnt smell when I turn it back on. I had mine cleaned too with some Wynn's stuff that Audi use (it made it a bit better but it still smells from time to time)
    Audi A4 B7 1.9TDi SE | Auto Lights, Wipers & Dimming Mirror | Cruise Control | DIS

Mod's so far: Ambient light, Cupra R splitter, 4300k HID's, Painted Brake Calipers & Hubs, Dice Electronics iPod & Aux, Leather Armrest, Interior, Sidelight & Number Plate LED's, Curry Hooks, Tie Downs, Ambient Footwell LED's, Footwell Lights, Shadow Chrome S-Line (RS6) wheels, Mudflaps, Votex Rear Diffuser, RS4 Rear ARB

Neutral

Status
    thanks for the replys, i may have found a solution.
    my dad is a retired refrigeration engineer and i picked his brains about it. he said theres a fur like bacteria that grows in the air-con system, sounds quite nasty but no harm in the air-con just releases a smell when initally turned on. his suggestion was exacully what robbierolex said, you spray it in the vents? and it kills the germs.

when i get chance im going to pop down to halfords and give it a try. also it is book in this monday for a service, pollen filter will be chainge then for an added bonus.

ill let you know how i get on.
    Last edited by alfie155; 19th August 2011 at 19:57.

2nd Gear

Status
    I have the same problem so let us know what fixes it

VAG Addict

Status
    Used one of these aerosols when we first got our A4 to help get rid of the stale smoke odour left by the previous owner. They do work very well and for the money I don't think you can go wrong!
    2009 A4 2.0 TDI (170) Avant S Line Exec. ​Quartz Grey, S Line suspension, Bluetooth phone prep low, AMI, DAB, Symphony III, Leather/Alcantara, rear sun blinds, heated/dimming/folding mirrors and cruise control. Mods so far: BBS LM (reps), needle sweep and dipping mirror on reverse. To come: spacers, rear window tint and badge delete.

Neutral

Status
    just had a good sevice today and after having the car back the smell seems to have gone, so it must of been the pollen filter, ill give a a few days and see how it goes.

1st Gear

Status
    I had the same problem. I changed the pollen filter, used one of those air con cleaners and had the heaters on full blast for an hour whilst driving and now the smell has gone.
    Now - Ford Focus RS (305 bhp) - 2009

Previous Cars

A4 2.0 TFSi S-Line (251 bhp) - 2005
    Audi A3 3.2 Quattro Sport (250 bhp) - 2004
    Ford Fiesta ST (150 bhp) - 2006
    Ford Focus ST2 (290 bhp) - 2009
    Skoda Octavia vrS (215 bhp) - 2001
    Volkswagen Golf GTi Turbo (230 bhp) - 2001

Neutral

Status
    well the smell did come back after the pollen filter chainge so i got one of those cleaners £11 from halfords, the smell is no more :-)

edit; smell is still there! must of not used the device properly tho my wife did take her nanna out shopping in it yesterday
    Last edited by alfie155; 27th August 2011 at 06:54.