AH FabricationsChris Nott
    Grumpy Old Man

Status

Safe way of cleaning the RNSE screen

My RNSE seems to have some etching on the screen, as though it has been cleaned with something it shouldn't. The marks don't show up too badly when in use, but I certainly don't want it to get any worse. What should I use to clean the screen safely?
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

2. # ADS
    ADS

VAG Addict

Status
    Dont know if it helps but at a guess id use a lint free micro fibre cloth or glasses cleaning cloth with a weak alcohol based solution... Firstly I'd probably give a computer screen cleaning tissue a go to be honest.
    2009 A4 2.0 TDI (170) Avant S Line Exec. ​Quartz Grey, S Line suspension, Bluetooth phone prep low, AMI, DAB, Symphony III, Leather/Alcantara, rear sun blinds, heated/dimming/folding mirrors and cruise control. Mods so far: BBS LM (reps), needle sweep and dipping mirror on reverse. To come: spacers, rear window tint and badge delete.

Status
    Some have used a product called Plastic-X if the have any markings in the screen (think it was a meguiars product), but never seen the results myself so can't comment on whether it will strip the screen of coatings.

I use computer screen / prescription glasses cleaning wipes (the moistened ones). Father in law buys them for me from Lidl of all places and I keep them in the back of drivers door pouch - 99p! Proof some cheap tat can work!
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

4th Gear

Status
    There's an anti-reflecting coating on the screen that scratches with more or less anything. I use aircraft computer screen wipes and even these leave tiny marks. The plastic-x takes the coating off (someone did it on a thread in the RNS-E section), while this means the screen is easy to clean without marking it, you've lost the anti glare/reflection protection.
    3.0 Tdi Q A4 Avant S-Line Dolphin Grey
    RNS-E retrofitted

3rd Gear

Status
    Muck off do a screen cleaner foe phone etc...
    Dolphin Grey 2005 3.2fsi Quattro 6-speed manual A4 Avant S-line, Two tone Leather, Pipercross panel filter, Genuine RS6 style 18" Alloys, Cupra R Lip, Piranha Grooved and dimpled Brakes, Eibach 30mm springs, B5 Front Cups, Rs4 RARB, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Engine covers, Rs4 Grill, Rs4 style fog grills, Lamin-x'd head, fog and tail lights, Adaptive Xenons, Q5 rear wiper, S4 spring clips, Heated Passat Washer jets, DIS and cruise control

Now have genuine VCDS in North Norfolk

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warrencox View Post
    Some have used a product called Plastic-X if the have any markings in the screen (think it was a meguiars product), but never seen the results myself so can't comment on whether it will strip the screen of coatings.

I use computer screen / prescription glasses cleaning wipes (the moistened ones). Father in law buys them for me from Lidl of all places and I keep them in the back of drivers door pouch - 99p! Proof some cheap tat can work!
    I have those, so will use them too.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

Status
    Once I'd bought my rns-e, I cleaned the screen once, then fitted an eBay special anti glare screen protector from US for about a tenner. It's not the best for anti glare, but screen scratch issues no longer an issue.
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rowdyboy View Post
    There's an anti-reflecting coating on the screen that scratches with more or less anything. I use aircraft computer screen wipes and even these leave tiny marks. The plastic-x takes the coating off (someone did it on a thread in the RNS-E section), while this means the screen is easy to clean without marking it, you've lost the anti glare/reflection protection.
    Yeah i have used plastic-X and found that i have that problem too.

The glasses wipes are very good but i like the idea of putting a screen protector on it, almost like you do your phone, never actually occurred to me to do that

Screen Protector Audi S3 A6 A4 A3 RS4 S4 TT S8 S6 Q7 | eBay

O
    R

Screen Protector Audi S3 A6 A4 A3 RS4 S4 TT S8 S6 Q7 | eBay
    Last edited by Dazmo; 14th August 2011 at 12:58.

Maritus Blue Audi A4 3.0 V6 S-Line TDi 275bhp, 585nm Torque