2.0Tdi 170 or 2.7 Tdi

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
Hi, A small part of me is considering this change to make way for my new found social lifestyle :)

I am looking at the 2.0 170bhp and 2.7 Tdi models - both look very similar in performance, I just cant help but think the 2.7 will be a little easier on its turbo to attain peak power..... mpg and everything is relative on both so no issues there

I will be remapping more than likely to make up for the shortfall in power that I will suffer from this swap

What are peoples thoughts?

ps, looking primarily at the Avant

Tim

Eyup Tim, fancy 'seeing' you here.

I am now the proud owner of a A4, 2.7 TDi Avant, let me know if you'd like to have a blast in it....

I think the 2.7s are a bit harder to find but definitely a safer option as the 170s have some issues that can be quite expensive to fix, brilliant cars though so don't let that put you off just make sure you read up on it first.

Also check if te 2.7 has a DPF and if it does look into having it deleted as that's just something else that will eventually go wrong. It's a stupid invention that doesn't work and isn't needed.

Eyup Tim, fancy 'seeing' you here.

I am now the proud owner of a A4, 2.7 TDi Avant, let me know if you'd like to have a blast in it....

****** hell mate I can't get away from ya!! :) hows you doin?? what ya think to the 2.7 overall

I think the 2.7s are a bit harder to find but definitely a safer option as the 170s have some issues that can be quite expensive to fix, brilliant cars though so don't let that put you off just make sure you read up on it first.

Also check if te 2.7 has a DPF and if it does look into having it deleted as that's just something else that will eventually go wrong. It's a stupid invention that doesn't work and isn't needed.

I keep seeing this DPF, i'll do some searching - cheers mate - my thinking is right then regards the strain on the 170 engine being higher tuned..... I'll most likely make a call closer the time if i swap, think the specs on the 2.7's seem a tad better but as you say, far more rare.... massive diff in economy though when compared to the 3.0!! also xenons seem to be very hard to come by on these

have to admit the 3.0 is what made me consider diesel....but after looking on autotrader i can't find many 3.0's that aren't commanding 2-3k over the 2.7 - plus the fuel economy is massively worse on the 3.0 and much closer to what im getting now, defeating the object to swap.

I'm trying to grow up, taking the emphasis away from pace :) safe to say it's ****** hard :)

Think they were an option mate, I think it comes with the sat nav option.

I have a b6 2.5 quattro and have to say that after nearly 30k its been a peach. Really a great car and very smooth. The b6 cars suffered badly from cam wear, dont know if thats an issue with later v6 diesels though.

thanks chaps..... i think the 2.7 seems a bit better on pace than the 2.5 which is why i was thinking that model, albeit rare....the 3.0 seem to fall off a cliff on economy and fetch one hell of a premium to purchase too!! otherwise i'd have preferred one of those :(

****** hell mate I can't get away from ya!! :) hows you doin?? what ya think to the 2.7 overall

I think you'll find that it's me that can't get away from you matey!

I'm doing fine thank you. I love the 2.7, like you say it's a bit more grown up. My driving has certainly altered, I'm much more laid back; I've hardly bothered putting it into 'sport'; I've also decided that I'm not going to do anything to it.

Like I said, if you fancy a go in it, let me know....

Was driving to work thinking about that exact offer this morning mate..... I'll get this sorted as I need to get the auto lights/wipers/auto dimming mirror retrofit wired up - then once its advertised/sold i'll give you a nudge.

I'm currently considering the 2.7 and the 170's in A4 Avant, Passat and Golf GT form....the passat so far looks like its edging it for the toys the Vdubs have, touch screen RNS 510's etc - but the injector issue on the 170 is still worrying me