K04 Hybrid progress

solaris

Reaction score
Hi,
There have been loads of questions around fitting a K04 to the A4 2.0TFSi on this forum so I thought i'd have a crack at it and post up my progress.

Parts list so far :-
K04 Hybrid Turbo
S3 injectors
ATP Front Mounted Intercooler
Custom RAI Motorsports 4" to 3" Down pipe with s3 flange
Custom made Silcone T pipe (38mm take off to fit s3 flange)
500cm 25mm id silcone hose
Silcone elbow
S3 Diverter Valve flange (06F-145-751)
034 Motorsports Silicone Turbo hose

With regards to fitting the actual turbo I was told that one of the ears on the hotside flange fowls the motor mount and will need to be trimmed. You can get away with grinding it slightly i'm told but I went down the route of totally trimming the ear back and re-tapping the hole. I also trimmed down the flange on the downpipe to match.

Before
DSC01341.jpg

After
03cd52a7.jpg

00e00c97.jpg

Flange trimmed/modified
ca3141fc.jpg

I'm locked in to this . Well done.

Good effort mate if I had quattro I would love to do this but my front driver cant handel what its already got !
Whats your target BHP and when are you planning on installing ?

speed it up a bit

I'm using the revised piston type diverter valve, i'm sure it will be able to cope and plus i'm not really into my car making dump sounds and for this reason i'll be circulating the air back into the inlet hose. I'll be posting my solution as soon as i've finnished it.

mine was done all in for 2650
thats parts exhaust hpfp upgrade live tune injectors pistons etc etc

I'm using the revised piston type diverter valve, i'm sure it will be able to cope and plus i'm not really into my car making dump sounds and for this reason i'll be circulating the air back into the inlet hose. I'll be posting my solution as soon as i've finnished it.
the revised will take the power well mine went depends on your psi
you dont need the dump sound its only the spacer but that can be removed
im relocated to the cold side then routed back to the inlet so if im not running the spacer i just pipe it back up

also did you get the oem s3 outlet pipe
i had nothing but trouble on my custom outlet so i got oem so it fits suug turbo side chopped the rest up and mated it to my custom pipe work

Last edited:
the revised will take the power well mine went depends on your psi
you dont need the dump sound its only the spacer but that can be removed
im relocated to the cold side then routed back to the inlet so if im not running the spacer i just pipe it back up

also did you get the oem s3 outlet pipe
i had nothing but trouble on my custom outlet so i got oem so it fits suug turbo side chopped the rest up and mated it to my custom pipe work

I did not have enough clearence to use the first bit of the s3 pipe, it wasn't at the correct angle to connect upto my FMIC if I was using the side mounts it may have been ok. In the end i got a custom silcone elbow made.

I did not have enough clearence to use the first bit of the s3 pipe, it wasn't at the correct angle to connect upto my FMIC if I was using the side mounts it may have been ok. In the end i got a custom silcone elbow made.
thats what i did i ment the end that fits in the turbo
my silcone kept popping off so i chopped the pem s3 pipe at the top so i had the good fitment and joined it to my custom

was tha fitted or did u fit it urself tha sounds pretty good for all parts etc
my spanner man is a good mate so we used his garage and i helped quite a bit just got him wasted a few times he likes his drink
its in there now for front upgrade and new end pipes lights etc

yes DTM front iv had the bumper made to fit the OEM RS4 grill
how much for the rear bumper ?
im in barry every weekend so can pick up anytime
iv already got the full rear fixing kit

was thinking bowt 200 mark has a slight crack were it was stored before i had it but ive taken it to a bodyshop n they said its easy fix as when its fitted to the car the crack seals its self so they said a tiny bit of resin n it be sorted

can you post a few pics of the damage id say crack but you know what the pervs are like on here
oh and SOL sorry for the thred hijak

no probs quick pm when you get the thred up
cheers

Right i'll try and regain control of this thread..:sm4:

So injectors were fitted today however the valve stems were not looking healthy.... lots of carbon build up.
dedc70c2.jpg

Last edited:
christ thas alot of carbon was it rning right? how many miles has she done?
52K miles, the car was running great, no rough idle or misfire. Think this amount of build up is normal for the amount of miles. I'm contemplating fitting a catch can to prevent this in the near future.

Once the turbo was mounted the tricky bit was designing a recirculation solution for the Diverter valve. Unlike the K03 the K04 does not have a built in DV on the compressor housing. I'm not really into the whole "blow off" sound and think the car will perform better anyway if the air recirculates back into the inlet.... so here is my solution:-

I've tapped into the silicone inlet housing and the charge pipe:-

DSC01438.jpg

DSC01439.jpg

DSC01435.jpg

DSC01434.jpg

looking good
good choice on the recirc mine was around the same
but i use a spacer now
no loss in power with spacer and without
proven on dyno
have you picked the tuner yet ?

looking good
have you picked the tuner yet ?
MRC tuning should be mapping it once it's all together. At the moment i'm having a nightmare with the ATP FMIC in that it doesn't fit behind the DTM bumper. I've trimmed the crap out of the inside of my bumper but still no joy. I ended up ordering another one, it arrived today and what a gem it is!

7aec63f8.jpg

the ic looks good
take pics of fitting and cutting bumper plz
also if you want that pipe custom fabbed in SS send it up to me i could get my bloke to do a fast turn around on it for you

Its an elbow joing onto t-piece joining onto a reducer ..I wanted to get a cutom pipe made however the costing was rediculous.

I bet I'm trying to find full hose kit water n boost but nothing like tha looks really mate is close to finished now or have u got few more things lined up before u let her loose

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

I bet I'm trying to find full hose kit water n boost but nothing like tha looks really mate is close to finished now or have u got few more things lined up before u let her loose

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
At the moment i'm just sruggling with the intercooler once that is done it just needs to be mapped. I just keep getting tied up with work kids etc so hard to find time at the moment. But i will keep posting up progress.

Guys, what kind of power are you achieving on standard internals?

Is the intercooler upgrade required or just a nice to have?

Reminds me of my Subaru days! Will the car retain it's standard manners with better performance?

Chris

Guys, what kind of power are you achieving on standard internals?

Is the intercooler upgrade required or just a nice to have?

Reminds me of my Subaru days! Will the car retain it's standard manners with better performance?

Chris

You can use the standard side mount intercoolers but if your using a hybrid k04 and are chasing figures its good to have a bigger core to deal with the increase in air flow.
The car manners should be retained that was one of the resons for using the k04 and not going big turbo. The standard block (BUL) should be able to take 400bhp/400lbft and although this turbo is capable of achieving those figures I don't really want to map my car upto that level. I've kinda shot my self in the foot because this hybrid turbo spools very quickly in comparison to the std k04 and i'm concerned that the torque coming in so early is bound to snap rods. Surely the soulution is to limit the torque coming in so early during mapping however is that what I really want? hell no!