VCDS is there a definitive guide.( i need a bit of help)

RMH1A4cab

I'm in Cruise control
Reaction score
I finally bit the bullet and today i received a new vcds cable off nigel nhn as i need to do some coding to my car which i need help with.

I'm fully aware of the damage you can do if you change codes without knowing what your doing hence why i'm here annoying you lot:icon_thumright:

Is there a how to guide on here (i can't find one) i have read most of ross tech's site .

Any way here are the two issues i need to sort.

1)Last year i had full oem bluetooth fitted by another site member all worked perfect including dis and MFSW , after a week or two i began to get alot of static through the bluetooth so i took it back, after many hours of scratching heads and trying different things we determined that the unit was faulty , so i took just the bluetooth unit out and sent it back leaving all the wiring in place, they confirmed it was faulty and sent me a new one a few days later
So new one arrives and i fit it as in just plugged it in , it works perfect as in i can make and receive calls the radio goes quiet ect, but the DIS & MFSW do not work as it did before , did it lose the code do i have to recode and if so how .

2)Problem 2 another member off another forum (A8 tech) a master tech for audi fitted my cruise control last year and during fitting i told him i was going to be having a fiscon unit fitted at a later date so while he was coding the cruise control he coded for the fiscon resulting in me losing all radio/headunit info from the dis , i never had the fiscon fitted in the end i left it as stock .
I need to recode for the concertII to the DIS as above how do i .

Sorry for the long post but if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated .

Whats your current coding for the radio 56, instruments 17, steering wheel 16, telephone 77?

If A8Tech did your car, then he did everything properly given his knowledge, so maybe somethings just amiss from the issues you've had.

When you enter a module, it does popup what coding is available for each module, so it has its own built in helper.

RT do have a manual online at this link:

Ross-Tech: VCDS Tour

Best way to learn is to familiarise yourself with the interface & how to enter coding, etc, but always make a note of where you were, what the coding was before, etc so if any issues, you can refer back to this to correct the issue.

Edit: Removed gateway advice info, whoops 8P head mode :p

Last edited:
Thanks for that Nigel, I wasn't trying to undermine jon's skills in any way he is a top fella he was doing it as a favour ,I have been trying to get up to him for best part of a year as he was going to do this coding for me but he is 100miles away and my work got n the way most of the time , that's why I ended up getting the cable off you.

I've not connected it up yet but I defiantly make a note of the codes in there now, thanks for the tip and link.

B7's don't have can-gateway 19, just incase you get worried no communication messages.

Yes sorry was in 8P mode, forgot we were on about a B7, instruments 17 controls whats on the gateway bus lists, I've edited my post :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lyndon Delloy
here are a few picture of existing coding , if anyone can help .

Last edited by a moderator:
On 1st check as little busy, the BT module isnt even coded mate, code that 1st then see whats happening.

I'll have another look when got bit more time mate, sorry.

Well ****** hell, 1st attempt at coding the bluetooth nigel and it all works dis & mfsw . Fantastic thanks just the head unit info in the dis now.

To get the concert II in the dis(only) working will the coding for this be under radio channel 56 or instruments channel 17.

Thanks gary i think it was beginners luck :)

Still looking for help with above mentioned, also what's the difference between these two in the drop down code helper

Example

> 1 = xyz
>+1 = xyz

notice the plus sign does mean you add 1 to the code already installed.

Try checking the BUS devices coded onto the instruments, go into instruments then adaptations & you should see down the list the BUS options & see if radio is actually enabled on the relevant bus, as tbh most default show dis info for the radio, atm my minds fried from many things today so may have missed a note here, but thats a good start.

sorry nigel i know i'm driving you nuts , but this one had me stumped.i think i understand part of what you said , here is the drop down list in 17 instruments - adaptations

v8.jpg

v7.jpg

thanks .

Try coding that as 19 & see if that then shows DIS info.

Nigel i think you are my new best friend that worked spot on,finally a year on and all is working as it should .

One day when you less busy i would love to know how and where you got that code from .

Thank you .

Easy, check what adds upto 19 in that list of numbers, 16, 2 & 1 = 19 :)

Basically you have those 3 systems those numbers represent.

Easy, check what adds upto 19 in that list of numbers, 16, 2 & 1 = 19 :)

Basically you have those 3 systems those numbers represent.

:idea: i think the penny has just dropped, my god easy when you know how.

I think i need some practice :)

Shame the b7 doesn't support long coding,

How do I code for windows up/down with the remote as the cab is different.

Also coming home lights , I know 1wheelony has this on his b6 cab I don't care if they come on in the day too.