Help/advice please

D8UGF

Reaction score
Folks,

Have only had my car three weeks and it has been back and forth with Audi a couple of times already. It is booked to go back in next wed and I was wanting to guage thoughts or opinions on the symptoms it is showing.

First of all its the dreaded 2.0Tdi 170 2006 model, its a BRD engine. It has been acting erraticaly on tick over, to the extent that the car is physically rocking from side to side. When initialy started and ticking over there is what I can best describe as a breathless owl sort of whistle. This is not under any load whatsoever so I am fairly confident it is not the turbo itself per se. On top of this I have experienced an extreme vibration throughout the car on straight roads and under braking, Audi have tried to say that this is due to aftermarket wheels having been fitted, but I had these OZ wheels on my B6 quattro for five years with none of the symptoms this is showing. They blamed the fact that there were longer wheels bolts fitted and that they were petruding beyond the hub, I have since had new bolts fitted, cut to size, and the front wheels rebalanced. The problem has resurfaced again! Could this be engine related rather than suspension/wheel related.

Sorry for the long post, but as it is still under warranty I want to go in there with as much info at my disposal as is possible so I dont get fobbed off.

Cheers in advance

Dougie

OK so an update for you all as it might help you for future refference. I got a call from Audi today, the shaking at idle I was experiencing is due to a failure in the tandem pump. It appears this stops oil from getting into the fuel system. They are now going to have to change the fuel pump, oil pump and drain and clean the entire fuel system! Not a great start with this car at all. <BR>They still maintain the vibration is due to the wheels, does anyone know if you put a wheel on with a different offset do you require to have the tracking and alignement re-done?<BR><BR>Dougie

Get your tracking and alignment done anyway mate but if your wheels are balanced correctly you shouldn't be experienceing any issues, i dont particulary suffer and i have different size wheels, offsets, spacers stretched tyres and longer bolts on the rear.

I think your idle vibration could be caused by a Dual mass fly wheel so if it still does it (but not as violent) when you get the car back then you know what it is.

Also there is a recall on your injectors so check with Audi that they have already replaced them and if not then get them done.

I'm sorry mate but I thought I had replied to your original post with a bit of advise, Guess not!

Thanks bud, I will keep the dual mass flywheel in mind. Hopefuly their prognosis will sort it out. I'm beginning to wonder if the vibration being felt was actually the engine. If there is oil getting into the fuel it would be pretty rough at motorway speeds. I am getting uneven tyre wear on both outer front wheels so as you say its probably worth getting it done as a precaution.
On a happier note I get to run around in an 11 plate 2.0tdi S-line A4 for a few days!!!

Dougie

Nice, if your getting wear on the outer edges of your front tyres then you have too much positive csmber, a laser alignment will show this up and they'll sort it for you.

Oil in your fuel is not good, i would expect them to remove the head and check for damage in the cylinders.

Ok further update.

Had 4 wheel alignment carried out, it was out slightly but not enough to worry about. He has recommended that I swap the front and back wheels as it might be possible there is a flat spot in a wheel that is not showing up in the wheel balancing.
Got the car back from Audi with the tandem,oil and fuel pumps having been changed, all seemed ok but it has now reverted back to doing the same again. Waiting on Audi getting back to me for further work to be authorised. Starting to think this is a pig in a poke, coming up on my 30 day return period and am seriously considering asking for my money back and handing them the keys.

Dougie

Get them to change the fuel filter aswell. My mate had all sort of issues with his 170 and it turned out his filter was really clogged and so was getting fuel starvation.
The flywheel is a common problem, I'd try and point the garage in the right direction.
Something else that seems to be cropping up is the intake flap motor.
On the bright side, you're going to get lots of things changed under warranty so shouldn't have problems with those bits for ages.

Very true Rowdyboy,

Only thing is they seem to replace them with just as faulty parts! Im kind of hoping that they replaced the fuel filter when they went to the bother of changing the fuel pump and draining/purging the fuel system, but I will ask as you never know.
Are there any other symptoms for the intake flap motor?

Dougie

Ask them to change the filter again, if they've disturbed the system, it could have stirred debris up. The mate who had similar issues thought the same, he'd had it changed recently. It wasn't till he insisted they changed it again, that it was sorted.

I think the symptom with the intake flap is a bad flat spot around the 2k rpm mark, I'm not sure if there are any others.

Quick Update;

The car has been back in and they have just replaced all four injectors and installed the uprated wiring loom. I will keep you informed if this has cured the problem. Only just got it back this afternoon so not had a chance to assess if its been fixed or not.
Handed back the 11 plate Avant TFSI they gave me this time, what a difference in performance going back to the 170.
Miss the bluetooth tho :3sadwalk:

Fingers crossed for you hope your troubles are over .

You can add OEM Bluetooth to yours for a little over £200 if you fit it yourself .let me know if you want details .

Last edited: