Problems with removing plate lights.....

JDM82

Reaction score
Ive got some LED plate lights and want to remove the old ones but both the screw heads ground up as I tried to loosen them. Anyone else had this problem?

The screws must be cheap metal but now Im left with old lights, new ones sat in the box and screws I can't get out......

Any ideas or help would be great......

Nothing goes right :banghead:

One technique you can use is to find a flat headed screw driver where the blade width matches one of the 'cross' sections - as you can get a better grip in the dying screwhead.

If you get no joy with that, use the same flat screwdriver but tap the head with a hammer as you turn it - this can help locate the screwdriver whilst releasing the screw from being stuck.

Failing that you'd need to drill them out.

Either way be ready with some replacement small screws of similar size, and for your dashboard warning to suggest you have a bulb fakir when you do get the led versions installed :(

I had to Dremel one of my old number plate lights out when this happened to me :(. Was a right PITA to sort out, but I bought a new light unit for £11 off Ebay and bought some replacement screws like these. They use a Hex key to screw them in, so no more knacked Audi 'chocolate screws'.

Z216 HPI BUTTON HEAD SCREW M3X15MM (HEX SOCKET/ | eBay

For once my luck has changed........ I've managed to remove the screws and now ill I need is some replacement screws and Im away. I didn't get a error either so hopefully ill not get one once there screwed in. Thanks for the link to them hex screws Paullie.

Thanks for all advice :o.k:

No probs, Buddy. Glad you managed to get them out after all and no error lights either, ..nice one! :)