Need new brakes, will these fit and are they any good (B7 A4 2.0TDi)

DJM1982

Reaction score
Right, my brakes are getting really spongey now and i really think its time they need changing. After all they have covered about 50,000miles (ok they are 80% motorway miles).
I have checked the log book and the code is 1LB (which i think means 288mm discs, can anyone confirm?)
So my question is, will these disks and pads fit and are they any good. They price seems very very good.

Audi A4 2.0 01/05-10/07 front brake discs with mintex pads [19070] - £94.49 : MTEC Brakes, Performance Brake Discs, Sport Brake Discs

Cheers for the help, will be looking for order very soon.

Im not sure on fitment mate but thats def a good price. Mintex pads alone are normally around £55 i think.

cheers, so what is the qaulity/performance like?

Usually pretty good, should be better than your standard pads but there not up to track standard.

i won't be using them for track, just road use. Just wanted to know if they were good qaulity / performance for the price. Seem alittle cheap to me, so wasn't sure what to do.

Any other thoughts / opinions? I want to other tonight if pos??

ive got these, had them in the black dipped option, only bought the discs as i coupled them with greenstuff pads,

very good breaking ive got used to them now but when other people drive they comment on the sharpness of the set up

Cheers for the feedback D2NY G, will get them ordered tonight then.

I have got Mintex pads, after the stealer saw my pads were down and tried to charge me over £300 to change all the pads and discs. The Mintex pads are fine, just if you go on a long journey and continuously brake hard, when they heat up they get hellish spongy.

i have the full EBC setup on my a4 Avant
no spongyness, no fade
my redstuff pads really suit the heavier audi, but the best bit for me is there is no brake dust, so my alloys stay clean:yahoo:

I bought MTEC grooved and drilled discs a while back, i had them with redstuff pads.

Much better than standard but i'm concerned as they gone from this-

dscf0968s.jpg

To This-

img0162ce.jpg

img0161di.jpg

Im not sure if this is normal, but it appears to be significant scarring on the disc, could be the redstuff pads! Anyone any ideas what this could be caused by?

no idea what could have caused that mate. I have just ordered the discs and pads combo from Mtec, so will keep you updated if it happens to mine aswell.

looks like the redstuff pads are too harsh on those discs

it does state on the website to only use recommended pads, maybe that is correct. i will soon find out, haha

Right, alittle update for those who are interested.
I bought the discs with the mintex pads and opted for the Black edition which are dipped in black paint (so hopefully the centre and lip will not rust and look sh*te like my last ones). They arrived within a couple of days so the service from Mtec was very good.
Heres are they looked when they arrived:
[URL]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh125/marltodj/P1010189.jpg[/URL][\img]
[img][URL]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh125/marltodj/P1010184.jpg[/URL]
URL]

URL]

URL]

Had them fitted yesterday at Blackridge Auto in Bedford (top bloke, really knew his stuff and had a beauty of a RS4 in the carpark)
How they looked after i pulled up outside:
URL]

And heres how they look after the drive home, the black paint is being removed by the pads and should be fully removed after my drive home today (will update again tmrw)
URL]

URL]

First impressions: seem good, although still bedding in. Once i had done a couple of hundred mile on them, i'll start pushing them alittle more i think.
Cheers for reading.

Last edited:
I have Mtec and Mintex, and they're spot on.

I have got Mintex pads, after the stealer saw my pads were down and tried to charge me over £300 to change all the pads and discs. The Mintex pads are fine, just if you go on a long journey and continuously brake hard, when they heat up they get hellish spongy.
Just got back from cardiff audi after having coilpacks changed,they tried to sting me for new front discs and pads £500 fitted!,they said that the pads were 90% worn and discs were badly scored,to me ex mechanic and now aircraft engineer from the outside,not checked with wheels off yet the pads look about 50% and discs are lightly marked from use,no deep scoring or wear ,not even a big lip on discs,robbing ********.I will have a closer inspection on the weekend,their attitude changed when i said i was a qualified mechanic,Cheers Andy

Hmm, might order myself the front and rear package for £215 as my front discs have a lip and the rear pads were touching metal (new pads now fitted!!!)

and wanting all round new disks and pads as well, car has coverd 130k and have never been done from birth so u can imagine the stait thay are in?

i dont kno what to do as i want to keep it as cheep as i can, im wanting to get a service in as well.

Last edited:
Yeah got a set of black editions myself a few months back, quite pleased with them now

Well it looks like MTEC are now replacing my discs for me.

Seems they are interested to know what has happened here just as much as me.

So im very pleased as my brakes are getting worse.

wot about the labour? are thay going to contribute to that?

wot about the labour? are thay going to contribute to that?

I'm on the case.

They are giving me new mintex pads at cost price and i'm just negotiating a contribution toward the labour.

I will just be glad when it is all sorted, so far MTEC have been great.

I've been running the black Edition Discs and Mintex pads for about 2 weeks now, no scoring on the disc and performance is very good. Just need to sort the other issues with the car now.