Changing the oil

mm707

Reaction score
Hi All,

Think I might change the oil myself on 2007 2.0 tdi.

Anyone know if I have to remove that whole plastic protection piece under the sump to get access to the sump nut ? Looks a bit awkward to do on the drive with a jack and a couple of axle stands :)

You have to undo all the quick release fasteners and take the cover off. I invested in a Pella pump, it sucks the oil through the dipstick hole, it saves loads of hassle.

do it, it's easy and afterwards you'll feel better for doing it yourself.
a little tip for you : if the oil filter is a bit too tight to open by hand and you don't have a special tool for opening it, wrap a piece of sandpaper around filter ( grit against filter) and twist.
always works for me anyway.

Many thanks - I'll investigate the pella pump option too.

Car has only done 4k in the last 12 months ( last oil change ) - would you guys still change the oil ?

stupid question but ( when facing the front of the car ) where is the sump plug ? , struggling to get tunder the car, not enough room

Wish I'd bought the pella pump :)

stupid question but ( when facing the front of the car ) where is the sump plug ? , struggling to get tunder the car, not enough room

Wish I'd bought the pella pump :)

Also - do I remove two plastic trays from underneath or just the one nearest the back ?

Thanks

Front tray will do.
Can't remember which side the sump nut is. feel around the sump for it.
It's Probably a 14mm or a 17mm.