Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jdp1962
  • 1 Post By unikarl

Thread: Not decided, possibly an S4

5th Gear

Status

Not decided, possibly an S4

Hi all

I'm considering buying a B7 S4 (56) 60,000k any advice,tips, pros and cons would be very helpful, read a fair few threads, but not so many pros and cons, this is a tiptroninc, any thoughts.

TIA

Mac
    A4 B8 (09) 2.0 TFSI (211)

Black Gloss RS4 style mesh grille, Black Gloss fog grilles, Black Gloss splitter trim, Ice White fogs, Tints, Black A8 boot rings, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Abb
    2nd Gear

Status
    Do it Do it Do it! Purchased a cab a few months ago, and love it. It does love the fuel if its driven hard, but to be fair to it, if its driven normally with the odd burst, I will get around 280 miles out of a tank of fuel, approx £75. It was the options list I was fussy on,so I waited and searched for one with the right spec. Just a few extras to look out for, folding wing mirrors, front parking sensors, carbon atlas inlays, memory pack, auto lights/wipers/dimming rear view mirror. As long as it has had regular oil changes, and changes gear smoothly without revving too high when in auto, it should be fine mechanically. Being a tip/auto is actually better on fuel economy than its manual counterpart, as stated in the brochure!
    Audi S4 quattro cabriolet in dolphin grey metallic, Audi exclusive crimson red leather/black piping, red hood, carbon inlays, RNSE, tiptronic gearbox with paddleshift, electrically adjustable & heated seats, 6 disc multichanger, DVD multichanger, monitors in headrestraints, xenon headlights with power wash, cruise control, folding door mirrors, storage pack, 19" OE VW Touareg wheels with 25mm spacer/adapters all round, non res cat back quad tipped Milltek exhaust, lowered 30mm on H&R springs

5th Gear

Status
    Has folding wing mirrors, electric heated recaro silk nappa leather seats,audi nav plus, i-pod connection and bose, xenon plus headlamps with power washers, cf door inlays, rear park sensors (no front), interior light pack, storage pack, no mention of auto lights/wipers/dimming rear view mirror tho'.

What do you think

Black Gloss RS4 style mesh grille, Black Gloss fog grilles, Black Gloss splitter trim, Ice White fogs, Tints, Black A8 boot rings, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler.

?

Status
    Do it
    Phantom Black B7 S4 + Milltek

Reverse Gear

Status
    i just bought an 08 A4 2.0T with the multitriptronic auto and i love it! only down to it too me is the minor lag on take off at low RPM's because of turbo lag. Id say go for it!

5th Gear

Status
    Dont get me wrong, my tdi 170 is great but wanted an s4 for ages and decided that the info on here will sway me one way or the other, so now do i get an s4 or 2.0T quattro (remap it)

5th Gear

Status
    S4

Ha ha im such a big help!
    Mafia black 2007 A4 S-line 2.0Tdi - RNSE - Bluetooth - MFSW - GSM phone prep - Privacy glass all round - Cupra R splitter - Black Grill, surround and fog surrounds - 12" sub and 1200 watt JBL Amp - AP Coilovers - 19" RS6 Alloys - 6mm f & 15mm r spacers - Carbon wrapped interior - Blue LED dials - Ambient Lighting - Cruise Control - HID's - LED side lights - mapped to 185bhp / 380nm - Twin exit exhaust - RS6 style DRLs

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple.O.G View Post
    S4

Ha ha im such a big help!
    Cheers

Abb
    2nd Gear

Status
    I asked the very same question before purchasing mine, took the advice from S3-N,and did it! I know what you are saying about the 2.0 and a remap, but you cant beat the sound of that V8!!
    Audi S4 quattro cabriolet in dolphin grey metallic, Audi exclusive crimson red leather/black piping, red hood, carbon inlays, RNSE, tiptronic gearbox with paddleshift, electrically adjustable & heated seats, 6 disc multichanger, DVD multichanger, monitors in headrestraints, xenon headlights with power wash, cruise control, folding door mirrors, storage pack, 19" OE VW Touareg wheels with 25mm spacer/adapters all round, non res cat back quad tipped Milltek exhaust, lowered 30mm on H&R springs

2nd Gear

Status
    Buy a DTM and k04 it. It will hold its value, better MPG and cheaper to insure.
    If it's not longitudinal and it's not Quattro..it's not an Audi
    VCDS (VAG-COM) HEX-CAN USB cable carrying member
    2005 A4 DTM 2.0 TFSi Quattro :364Bhp/477NM - Mapped by MRC Tuning
    Hybrid K04 Project ongoing (link to Build thread)

DMFW + Clutch For Sale

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by solaris View Post
    Buy a DTM and k04 it. It will hold its value, better MPG and cheaper to insure.
    Not really a fan of the DTM look, so would end up spending cash on changing it, but like the sound of the k04 idea.

5th Gear

Status
    I hear you...I ended up 2.0T route as couldn't live with the low MPG I used to get in the Supra. Would love the V8 sound, but realistically, how often would you drive it like miss daisy, with the power you'd always be tempted to drive it quickly, even if just to hear the engine...

I purposely didn't drive the S4 as knew I would go heart over head on it..

Plus factor in servicing and insurance costs etc. of a 4.2 V8 vs a 2.0T, and it is a big difference. Depends how much disposal income you want to throw at it...
    07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, S4 alloys, Spacers, Black Optics, Eibachs, RS4 grill and fogs, Fog tints, RS4 ARB, RS4 Gearstick, LCR splitter, Black Calipers, Drilled discs, Debadged, Colour DIS, Bose, Adaptive Xenons/DRL, Black/Silver Audi Exclusive leather, Audi Carbon inlays, carbon difuser/B pillars, RNS-E+/Bluetooth, Cruise, Int/ext light packs, Rain/light sensors, mudflaps, LED plate/side/boot/interior

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by razza1 View Post
    I hear you...I ended up 2.0T route as couldn't live with the low MPG I used to get in the Supra. Would love the V8 sound, but realistically, how often would you drive it like miss daisy, with the power you'd always be tempted to drive it quickly, even if just to hear the engine...

I purposely didn't drive the S4 as knew I would go heart over head on it..

Plus factor in servicing and insurance costs etc. of a 4.2 V8 vs a 2.0T, and it is a big difference. Depends how much disposal income you want to throw at it...
    Decided yesterday that i'm gonna have a 2.0T quattro, then remap it, and checking out your sig, looks like its the way to go, Razza any chance of posting some pics or pm me with links inside and out . cheers

Mac

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    There's always a 3.0TDi. A remap will take it to around 275 bhp and 420 lb/ft of torque. You get performance that's close to that of the S4, but with better fuel economy that the 2.0T
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

5th Gear

Status
    Decisions, decisions lol

Avantageous

Status
    There is quite a price difference between buying a 2.0TQ and an S4. Looking around £15000-16000 for an S4, and probably around £8000-10000 for a 2.0TQ. If I was going to spend that sort of money (again! lol) on a car, I would be looking at a V10 S6 :D

1st Gear

Status
    Far too many good B7's out there to choose from, and there's little between them beyond the noise when it gets to the nitty gritty lol, so I'll put it like this, if you want the noise, S4, if you want a petrol, want to go fast and save a little money, go 2.0T with a k04 or GT28RS, if you don't mind diesel, get the 3.0tdi, simples :P

Could always get an RS4 (V6 Twin turbo = yum yum, V8 = utterly orgasmic noise!)

Four Sprung Ducks

5th Gear

Status
    Ok so I have now test driven a few motors, the S4 is out of the running , purely down to not letting the heart rule the head. Loved the quattro feel in both the 170 tdi & 2.0T fsi, but which one do I go for, fuel is not really the issue, read a ton of posts re: remaps/dpf deletes, power gains, injectors issues, cam followeer failure etc, so here goes - 170tdi or 2.0T which one - swaying more towards 2.0T, yes or no?

2nd Gear

Status
    I'd stick with what you have or go for the 3.0 TDI Quattro.

I used to be dead against diesel's and would always go for petrol but they really do seem to make more sense all round these days to me.
    2.0 TDI S line.

Cruise, Leather, DIS, RNS-E, autodim, MFSW, ambient lights, Bi xenons.

Gone to its new home

5th Gear

Status
    Yes, but I'm clearly biased...
    07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, S4 alloys, Spacers, Black Optics, Eibachs, RS4 grill and fogs, Fog tints, RS4 ARB, RS4 Gearstick, LCR splitter, Black Calipers, Drilled discs, Debadged, Colour DIS, Bose, Adaptive Xenons/DRL, Black/Silver Audi Exclusive leather, Audi Carbon inlays, carbon difuser/B pillars, RNS-E+/Bluetooth, Cruise, Int/ext light packs, Rain/light sensors, mudflaps, LED plate/side/boot/interior

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    I'd say get a 3.0TDi, but I'm biased too.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

5th Gear

Status
    I'd say keep what you've got cos were all playing the biased game
    Mafia black 2007 A4 S-line 2.0Tdi - RNSE - Bluetooth - MFSW - GSM phone prep - Privacy glass all round - Cupra R splitter - Black Grill, surround and fog surrounds - 12" sub and 1200 watt JBL Amp - AP Coilovers - 19" RS6 Alloys - 6mm f & 15mm r spacers - Carbon wrapped interior - Blue LED dials - Ambient Lighting - Cruise Control - HID's - LED side lights - mapped to 185bhp / 380nm - Twin exit exhaust - RS6 style DRLs

5th Gear

Status
    Damn you, 3.0 tdi quattro keeps popping up into the equation lol

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdoon View Post
    Damn you, 3.0 tdi quattro keeps popping up into the equation lol
    Six might not quite be eight, but it is more than four.
    Macdoon likes this.

Grumpy Old Man

Status

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple.O.G View Post
    I'd say keep what you've got cos were all playing the biased game
    it's a quattro i'm after really, so i can throw it around lol

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962 View Post
    Well thanks Jeff lol

2nd Gear

Status
    Six might not quite be eight, but it is more than four.
    Watch out he's getting philosophical on us!
    Macdoon likes this.
    2.0 TDI S line.

Cruise, Leather, DIS, RNS-E, autodim, MFSW, ambient lights, Bi xenons.

Gone to its new home

1st Gear

Status
    If it's between the 170 and the 2.0tfsi then the tfsi every day of the week, stick the 3.0tdi in the mix though and things get difficult! Don't worry about the cam follower, changed mine from the original at 70,000 miles and to be fair I could have stuck the original back in, it was barely marked!

Four Sprung Ducks

6th Gear

Status
    There's always a 3.0TDi. A remap will take it to around 275 bhp and 420 lb/ft of torque. You get performance that's close to that of the S4, but with better fuel economy that the 2.0T
    More like 600nm :-)

Maritus Blue Audi A4 3.0 V6 S-Line TDi 275bhp, 585nm Torque

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam W View Post
    If it's between the 170 and the 2.0tfsi then the tfsi every day of the week, stick the 3.0tdi in the mix though and things get difficult! Don't worry about the cam follower, changed mine from the original at 70,000 miles and to be fair I could have stuck the original back in, it was barely marked!
    Good to see there holding there money, that's what I paid 2 years ago with double the spec from Audi so they look way overpriced

Maritus Blue Audi A4 3.0 V6 S-Line TDi 275bhp, 585nm Torque

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazmo View Post
    More like 600nm :-)
    Heh! I've never quite got the hang of nms. I'm strictly pre-decimal, me!